Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gun Trailer is Out

@vcdgrips, I'm not going to out anything GardoneVT doesn't want to put out, but as a fairly long time forum member and a veteran of almost 10 years, this is certainly "my lane". And having said that, I'm comfortable with his assertions.
    I have served in Combat Arms, Military LE, and Aircrew. I was also a Mission Director in a Task Force. I had a lot of Officers who I would follow into a wall of fire without even needing anything more than "on me". I also had a lot more Officers, Junior and Senior I wouldn't follow to the chow hall. I've had an Officer leave me trapped in a burning vehicle, I've had Officer's fall asleep on radio watch,EVERY night. Sometimes it's as simple as having to repeatedly them that "hey, you and I eat last".The aforementioned Officers all attained 0-6 or better, due the the fact that they were "Rabbi'ed up". These are just a few of the experience's I can talk about. Just like real life, it's often easier to promote up, rather than out. And this will continue as long as we draw our folks from the pool of humanity.

The sad thing is, I saw a lot of really good Officer's, I mean leadership I was in awe of, never get past 0-3 or 0-4.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I was afraid that they were remaking Stealth.

(Which I enjoyed for what it was - science fiction.)

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    @vcdgrips, I'm not going to out anything GardoneVT doesn't want to put out, but as a fairly long time forum member and a veteran of almost 10 years, this is certainly "my lane". And having said that, I'm comfortable with his assertions.
    I have served in Combat Arms, Military LE, and Aircrew. I was also a Mission Director in a Task Force. I had a lot of Officers who I would follow into a wall of fire without even needing anything more than "on me". I also had a lot more Officers, Junior and Senior I wouldn't follow to the chow hall. I've had an Officer leave me trapped in a burning vehicle, I've had Officer's fall asleep on radio watch,EVERY night. Sometimes it's as simple as having to repeatedly them that "hey, you and I eat last".The aforementioned Officers all attained 0-6 or better, due the the fact that they were "Rabbi'ed up". These are just a few of the experience's I can talk about. Just like real life, it's often easier to promote up, rather than out. And this will continue as long as we draw our folks from the pool of humanity.

The sad thing is, I saw a lot of really good Officer's, I mean leadership I was in awe of, never get past 0-3 or 0-4.
    Speaking as a retired Army senior NCO, the sentence I highlighted is critical. (Not as big a deal in the NCO corps, although if I'd figured it out, I might have made it past SFC.)(Or not.)

All I will add to this is that it is probably easier for a "maverick" officer -- i.e.: non-politically correct, refuses to play reindeer games, gives his opinion with the bark on, doesn't always play by the book -- to have a successful career in the combat arms of the Army and Marine Corps than in the Air Force or Navy, which both tend to be far more political, and (at least as important) also have less margin for error.
    It's easier to fuck up an F15 or a frigate than an Abrams.
    I saw mavericks in MI and in (ground) maneuver units, but not during my time in aviation battalions. The mavericks in Army aviation tend to either cost the taxpayers a lot of money, or leave a smoking hole in the ground.
    Or both.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Pretty sure I am gonna enjoy this movie, just like I enjoyed Wind River.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    True; the original is hardly a documentary. But this could have been so much cooler if they’d used as much real life footage as possible...like they did back in the day. It would be a great homage to the original and have made for stunning aircraft scenes.

CGId Super Hornets and Tom Cruise in static cockpit shots wont have the same impact.
    ‘34 years ago I made a movie in San Diego, right here. I actually shot across the street in a restaurant. You all have asked for many, many years and I’ve traveled across the world and people have asked “when are you going to do another one?” I felt it was my responsibility to finally deliver for you.’ He went on to explain: ‘Everything you see in this film is for real.’

And co-star Jon Hamm recently said that most of what we see on screen is not CGI. He told Collider: ‘They’re using some technology on this that is never before seen. We’re shooting the movie in, I think, 6K. So it’s incredibly hi-def. The aerial footage is mind-blowing. And it’s mostly practical. ‘There’s not a lot of CG. Those guys are really up in planes and getting thrown around in multiple Gs.’
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/19/top-g...-cgi-10425043/

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...een-technology

One thing that is hard to fault about Tom Cruise is his stunt work.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Seems a lot of people have forgotten how to be simply entertained. It’s a 80’s pop culture classic sequel, not a documentary on air combat or career planning inside Naval Aviation. Grab your favorite Coke shirt, Swatch watch, and all white Reebok’s and go have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Seems a lot of people have forgotten how to be simply entertained. It’s a 80’s pop culture classic sequel, not a documentary on air combat or career planning inside Naval Aviation. Grab your favorite Coke shirt, Swatch watch, and all white Reebok’s and go have a good time.
    If somebody made a movie that totally realistically portrayed military life, nobody would watch it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If somebody made a movie that totally realistically portrayed military life, nobody would watch it.
    Same is true for cop work...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

User Tag List