Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gun Trailer is Out

“[QUOTE=GardoneVT;This is probably the most accurate piece of Top Gun 2, Virtual Reality. Politically unpopular officers usually top out at O-6 and sometimes lower. Sometimes that’s justified by performance, others it’s a result of telling the truth too often”

As a current active duty Air Force Officer, this is incorrect, at least for the USAF and I would say for the other branches as well. Reaching O-6 in itself is rare (like 5% in my career field) so shitbags don't top out at 0-6. As for being politically unpopular and telling the truth being factors thats a gross overstatement, while facets of that may be true there are usually more compounding factors that would limit ones upward progression.
    Last edited by USAF422; 07-19-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Who is Tom going to fight? Shooting down some third world adversary as in the original is not that exciting. Fighting a near peer force seems politically incorrect.
    I thought it was Russians in the first movie

Quote Originally Posted by USAF422 View Post
    As a current active duty Air Force Officer, this is incorrect, at least for the USAF and I would say for the other branches as well. Reaching O-6 in itself is rare (like 5% in my career field) so shitbags don't top out at 0-6.
    True. Some dirtbags make it to 0-8.

The Air Force promotion system has issues best described in another thread.

Back to the movie; the thing which made TG1 so special was the real life ACM scenes. We won’t be getting that in this installment, which cools my enthusiasm drastically. If they shot this in IMAX using real life ACM sequences it’d be a masterpiece.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    He played a washed up detective in The Snowman(2017) and looked Mickey Rourke rough. Time is not often a friend to actors and actresses.

Attachment 40307
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I thought it was Russians in the first movie
    It's been twenty years since I've seen Top Gun, but I don't think they ever explicitly named the bad guys. They were understood to be some Soviet-esque country, I think.
    Last edited by Chance; 07-19-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Some interesting options for real adversary aircraft today that weren't available in 1986. Still, I expect we'll get CGI.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    GardoneVT

"Politically unpopular officers usually top out at O-6 and sometimes lower. Sometimes that’s justified by performance, others it’s a result of telling the truth too often."

On what direct experience do you base that on? In what branch(es) of the military did you serve? At what rank?

thx

DB
    I’ll let GardoneVT answer for himself...

But I’d concur with his assessment.
    I spent more than 20 years as an Air Force officer.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Trying to decide if this version of the trailer is better...

Definitely better!
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    GardoneVT

"Politically unpopular officers usually top out at O-6 and sometimes lower. Sometimes that’s justified by performance, others it’s a result of telling the truth too often."

&

"True. Some dirtbags make it to 0-8. The Air Force promotion system has issues best described in another thread."

You are up to two sweepingly broad statements re the military and how it treats its officers.

SECOND REQUEST:

What direct experience do you have in making these statements?
    When did you serve?
    What Branch (es) and what Rank(s)?

thx

DB

Edited to Add: Gyro F-16 Thank you for your input based on your 20 years of direct experience in the Air Force. Your insight in other aviation oriented threads given your direct experience is also most appreciated!
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 07-19-2019 at 02:34 PM.

User Tag List