Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidewinder, heading north soon

Sidewinder, heading north soon

We are about out of Arizona for Alaska, and the snakes are out. Saw a Mitchell rattler two days ago, a block from us, and just now found this Sidewinder in our back yard. This is a full grown, adult Sidewinder.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So I just Googled the Sidewinder.

Travels at 18 miles per hour, hides in sand until almost invisible and is a venomous pit viper.

I don't blame you for going north.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 04-23-2016 at 05:03 PM.

What's for dinner?

Site Supporter
    The bucket is so you can fly him/her back to Alaska, right?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    So I just Googled the Sidewinder.

Travels at 18 miles per hour, hides in sand until almost invisible and is a venomous pit viper.

I don't blame you for going north.
    That Youtube Video is pure BS. Fastest forward motion clocked for a sidewinder is 3 MPH, and that for short bursts. Sidewinding

The fastest snake on land is the Black Mamba. I believe it's been officially been documented at 12.5 mph.
    I'm not sure how fast the fastest swimming snake can be, but I'd suspect less than the Black Mamba.
    The fastest snake will be Chrysopelea, the flying snake. (also call gliding snake.) I don't know that a top speed has been officially clocked, but I'm sure it will beat the Black Mamba's ground record.

ETA: Chrysopela video.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 04-23-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    What's for dinner?
    Sidewinder - the other white meat.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    That Youtube Video is pure BS. Fastest forward motion clocked for a sidewinder is 3 MPH, and that for short bursts.
    Damn it! You mean I can't believe everything I read on the internet???
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 04-23-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Yea....flee the snakes and head to the place where there are gi-f-ing-gantic Bears.......makes total sense.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Yea....flee the snakes and head to the place where there are gi-f-ing-gantic Bears.......makes total sense.
    I would take a bear over a rattler any day. A black mamba, though, really terrifies me. When elephant hunting in Zimbabwe, early in the season when the grass was tall, I had to psych myself up every day to hunt through that stuff, knowing there were mambas around.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would take a bear over a rattler any day. A black mamba, though, really terrifies me. When elephant hunting in Zimbabwe, early in the season when the grass was tall, I had to psych myself up every day to hunt through that stuff, knowing there were mambas around.
    That is why I would want to do a Safari where you drive the cool Range Rover to the place where you kill the Cape Buffalo.....don't get out of the car!
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List