Thread: Arson Attack Kills 33 in Japan

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Arson Attack Kills 33 in Japan

From BBC News:

At least 33 people are dead and dozens injured after a man set fire to an animation studio in the Japanese city of Kyoto, officials say.

Police said the 41-year-old suspect broke into the Kyoto Animation studio on Thursday morning and sprayed petrol before igniting it.

The suspect has been detained and was taken to hospital with injuries.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the incident was "too appalling for words" and offered condolences.

Kyoto Animation, known as KyoAni, produces films and graphic novels and is well regarded by fans for the quality of its productions.

The fire broke out at the three-storey building at around 10:30 local time (01:35 GMT) on Thursday. Rescue operations are still ongoing.

Police also found knives at the scene, say local media. NHK said the man had been heard saying "drop dead" as he set fire to the building.

The suspect's relationship with the company is unclear.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

The mind is the ultimate weapon. It does not take a gun to inflict mass casualties.

I've pointed out this one for years. https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.2152091

Damn.

Japanese culture is going to need to take a long hard look at where they need to make some changes. This is the second mass attack in 3-months?

My thoughts go out to the victims and their families. May the perpetrator meet a swift end for his crimes.

NHK is reporting 36 others were injured.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Damn.

Japanese culture is going to need to take a long hard look at where they need to make some changes. This is the second mass attack in 3-months?

My thoughts go out to the victims and their families. May the perpetrator meet a swift end for his crimes.
    I find it ironic that a place that first severely restricted civilian possession of weapons in 900 A.D., and is currently a police state, not only has had incidents like this but is also the development ground for some of the most respected and widely practiced martial arts in the world.

Japan, viewed in this light, might be the ultimate proof that gun control does not work.

NHK is reporting that the suspect evidently accused the animation studio of plagiarizing his novel. He had previously been arrested for stealing from a convenience store.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    People who know me in person may recall that I have often predicted the use of fire for mass murder in places where guns have been removed as an option. I don't like to mention it on the internet because I think it will be a really horrendous step and we'll all wish we could go back to the days of occasional mass shootings. But I think it's an inevitable shift. People who want maximally to hurt groups - sometimes a company, sometimes a demographic, sometimes a whole society - will always engage in mass killings. The people who seek to do the greatest emotional harm against the parent society will use the worst weapons against the victims that will hurt us most to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    People who know me in person may recall that I have often predicted the use of fire for mass murder in places where guns have been removed as an option. I don't like to mention it on the internet because I think it will be a really horrendous step and we'll all wish we could go back to the days of occasional mass shootings. But I think it's an inevitable shift. People who want maximally to hurt groups - sometimes a company, sometimes a demographic, sometimes a whole society - will always engage in mass killings. The people who seek to do the greatest emotional harm against the parent society will use the worst weapons against the victims that will hurt us most to lose.
    Pretty much.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List