Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torn Between Two Options

Torn Between Two Options

So, I’ve come to the conclusion that the two polymer CZs that I have aren’t doing me much any good at all sitting in my safe doing nothing. I’ll probably be listing them here soon to get rid of them. But using the proceeds towards something else has been an interesting thought project. I don’t have a full sized revolver and have been itching for one for some time now and I’ve found a couple of used examples that I think would be handy.

A Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, blued, with a 4.62” barrel. I’d probably use it as a “hunting sidearm” and carry it in a Hill People Gear chest rig. It would give me a great excuse to have a big bore SA to screw around with and have a practical reason for it.

For roughly the same price, a 4” Ruger GP100 in .357 Mag. Slap some Altamont rubber grips on it that fit my hands better and I’d be hard pressed to find a more versatile .357.

Or for slightly more, a 3” Wiley Clapp GP100. Slightly smaller and even more versatile if I ever wanted to press it into a concealed carry role.

Each could easily do “hunting sidearm” in a chest rig role, but the .357s could conceivably give me more general use as well as I’m already planning on getting .38/.357 dies for my 550C to reload for my J-frame. But that SA Blackhawk is just downright cool as all get out and I’d be EXTREMELY tempted to throw some smooth rosewood grips on it as well as give me a reason to have something big bore on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won’t be any help at all; I like all three, for different reasons. Good problem to have.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Sounds like you've made your mind up on that SA gun already...

When comparing all of these, I don't think you should put CC into the equation especially when an SA gun is on the table.

I like the Wiley, but you can't beat the enjoyment of shooting a SA revolver... well, maybe with a good 1911... but it's close.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 08-26-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Site Supporter
    I like all 3, the stock Rugers will have more aftermarket support. You could probably put a red dot on either one of those, (the GP for sure) the WC but so much.

Yeah I know! Putting a red dot on a SA revolver is sacrilege, but my aging eyes make this something I would consider.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Of those three options, the SA revolver would have to be my choice. If you can, fire or at least handle a Bisley framed gun before you make a SA Ruger purchase. I find the Bisley handles recoil much better than the traditional plow-handle shape. If there's further wiggle-room in your SA options, give this cool model the once over:

https://ruger.com/products/newModelB...eets/0475.html

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I faced a similar dilemma a couple of weeks ago. Then I stumbled across a blued 5 ˝” Ruger Flat Top in 45 Colt with a 45 ACP cylinder basically unfired for about the price of a Glock.

Did you know that a 250-grain .45 Colt bullet at 950 fps will shoot through a horse?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Lord knows I love my SA Ruger big bores and have carried them in a HPG chest rig, but honestly I would be going to that WC GP-100 for a do it all .357. Car gun, hunting companion, general purpose revolver.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I’d go with the Blackhawk or the Clapp.

The Blackhawk would be fun, the 3” GP100 would be more versatile.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you get the Clapp!

That is a dead sexy wheelgun. Would last a lifetime. I actually never new they made that configuration and I'm tempted to look for one.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Single actions in .45LC will always be a thing. Wiley Clapps aren't hard to come by either but it's a heck of a lot more practical. Get the WC now and then get a convertible Blackhawk later.

Or quit whining and buy all of them.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 08-26-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List