Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drills with WML?

Site Supporter

Drills with WML?

I broke down and ordered my first WML as discussed in this thread. @Bigghoss assured me that the mount will work with both my PX4s and my M&Ps, so I'm going to try it out with both.

The range I belong to is outdoors and gives 24/7 access. I want to test it out in low light. My proposed use is for a bedside gun. I can make some stuff up, but if there are drills out there designed for use with WMLs I'd appreciate the knowledge.

Thanks!
    Last edited by revchuck38; 07-17-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I broke down and ordered my first WML as discussed in this thread. @Bigghoss assured me that the mount will work with both my PX4s and my M&Ps, so I'm going to try it out with both.

The range I belong to is outdoors and gives 24/7 access. I want to test it out in low light. My proposed use is for a bedside gun. I can make some stuff up, but if there are drills out there designed for use with WMLs I'd appreciate the knowledge.

Thanks!
    Do any drill you want, just activate the light when you come up on target and turn it off when you come off target for a reload, malfunction, or movement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Minimize light ND, that is always the goal. The only time the light should be on is when you are presenting it to a threat and immediately turned off after firing. This is for firing drills.

For searching structures/cqb there are other considerations.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I immediately thought that you should do Dot Torture with a light. Turn the light off after each shot and turn it back on for the next.

Site Supporter
    @Bill Nesbitt, you're a sick puppy.

I've mainly stuck with shooting steel when practicing with the weapon lights on my guns for that instant feedback.

I've also took old t shirts and button up shirts that have had it and drape them over the IDPA style steel target I have to see how different colors light up in dim/dark conditions. I then shoot them too.....with the steel behind them giving me the audible feedback I need.

Regards.

I very much disagree with turning the light off immediately after firing. A pistol used for self defense is a threat management tool and by turning off the light habitually immediately after firing we take away the ability to evaluate the effectiveness of the use of force.... is the suspect down? Are they still armed? Where are their hands? Where did they go?

Once the light is on, the light should stay on until the threat is controlled and we have determined there are no other threats. Obviously there are exceptions to this and special units in LE, military use, night vision devices, etc can alter what are best general practices.

As for drills, are you right or left handed? That will determine technique and mechanics with the TLR series unless you go with the contour switch - problem with that is they only make them for Glock and the M&P (though the M&P one will fit a Beretta M9A1). If you are running DA PX4s and/or M&Ps with manual safeties, that will affect how the light could be used in conjunction with pistol manipulations such as decocking or manipulation of the safety.

With a WML, my focus when training is with the specific things the light will be used for which includes threat location and identification. Simple barricades to simulate corners and doorways can work well. For me the goal is minimal use of the light until it’s needed. When it’s needed it’s needed lots and consistently.

If this is going to be a nightstand gun (no holster, possibly used to search/clear your home (a tactical issue worthy of its own discussion) then basic manipulations such as activating the light when presenting to a threat, maintaining activation when managing the threat, manipulation priorities during reloads, malfunction clearances, in concert priorities with hand held light (you do have both right?), and one-hand use (may be necessary if retaining while calling 911, etc) would all be good to reinforce.

Additionally, drills that require thinking and target ID such as “find target 3” or “shoot the red target” also would help introduce some complexity. There are lots of targets available on line that could be printed in color or you could simply create a drawing with colored shapes and such.

The WML is a Tactical tool and therefore training with it requires an understanding of the decisions you may have to make. The situation will require decisions and those decisions will drive what techniques you’ll need to use.
    Last edited by SoCalDep; 07-19-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I immediately thought that you should do Dot Torture with a light. Turn the light off after each shot and turn it back on for the next.
    I shot Dot torture at ten yards one night with a G34 with iron sights and an X300. It is a lot easier to focus on your sights at night with a light. Bill Rogers says the night shoot on Thursday at the Rogers School is often the first time some of his students really see their sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am curious as to what the professionals, like those working nights think, but this is how I break this down my thinking from simplest to most advanced.

Phase 1 — get an appropriate light on your firearm, learn how to turn it on and off without pressing the trigger when you mean to just operate the light, and learn how to shoot with the light. Carry a hand held light, too.

Phase 2 — use the light as Gunsite teaches, which is to turn it on and leave it on, so as to turn darkness into light, so the bad guy or bad animal doesn’t use darkness against you, and to allow you to identify who is good and who is bad.

Phase 3 — use light and darkness as a tactical advantage, by only engaging the light selectively.

Phase 4 — use NVG technology so that you can operate in darkness.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List