Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you leave the SD red got on all the time?

Site Supporter

Do you leave the SD red got on all the time?

My various rifles have red dots on them. The AR is usually designated as to go to gun for zombies at night. However, I realized that I don't have the sight on at home. I do turn i on for matches. So at night, do I have to futz with it, adjusting intensity level in the fog of the evening. Do folks turn them on at night. leave them on all day. Check each morning to see if it's illuminated. You can see the iron sights in extremis. Anyway, never thought about this much. Thoughts?

The home first go to Glock has night sights.

Do you leave the SD red got on all the time?

The MRO on my HD carbine is on and set so it’s visible indoors at night with splash from the WML. But adjusting brightness is often necessary depending on light conditions.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Ken Hackathorn gave the clearest rule of thumb I have heard for this subject,

If you keep a magazine in your rifle (rifle ready to go) then you probably want to leave the red dot on,
    and if not (rifle will need some fiddling to make ready) then you probably want to turn it off.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I leave my MRO on 24/7 at setting 3, with BUIS flipped up. Needs to be brighter for outdoor shooting, but it’s never gone out with battery changes every six months.

Same with the RMR’s on my Glocks. I just leave ‘em on a medium setting.

I own a bunch of Aimpoints. They stay on all the time. ALL the batteries in my house get changed on January 1st.

It's a simple system. I like simple.

My primary AR wears an Aimpoint. I keep the dot on at all times with the BUIS folded down. I set it to a brightness at which I am able to see the dot while activating my weapon light. I change the battery every year. If I was using an optic with a shorter battery life, I would likely keep it off until needed, with BUIS flipped up at all times.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I change my Aimpoint and MRO batteries every 3 years. So far no problems.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My various rifles have red dots on them. The AR is usually designated as to go to gun for zombies at night. However, I realized that I don't have the sight on at home. I do turn i on for matches. So at night, do I have to futz with it, adjusting intensity level in the fog of the evening. Do folks turn them on at night. leave them on all day. Check each morning to see if it's illuminated. You can see the iron sights in extremis. Anyway, never thought about this much. Thoughts?

The home first go to Glock has night sights.
    What optic are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Always on Aimpoint and RMR.

If I go back to an Eotech, batteries will be replaced every couple of months. The auto off feature pretty much requires a fixed front sight post (it has been a number years since I ran one, they may now allow you to disable the auto off feature), in my opinion.

pat

I leave them on all the time, whether it's the Aimpoints or the Primary Arms/Holosun red dots on my kid's and my wife's rifles. Batteries get changed once a year.

User Tag List