Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Redhawk grip question, and Bowen Classic Arms

Ruger Redhawk grip question, and Bowen Classic Arms

So, is the Red Hawk grip about the same girth as an RB N frame? Also, is the trigger reach the same?
    Reason for asking: I just discovered this NO. RD03 STANDARD 6-SHOT .45 COLT ANACONDA BARREL CONVERSION on the Bowen classic arms website. I thought about it all night, and I think this could be my "Swan Song" in the revolver world. A three inch would be incredible.

Link:http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/cata..._packages.html
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    The standard Redhawk gripframe is larger, especially at the bottom, than the square butt n-frame gripframe. I don't know how the RB versions of each compare.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The standard Redhawk gripframe is larger, especially at the bottom, than the square butt n-frame gripframe. I don't know how the RB versions of each compare.

Chris
    Okay, thanks. Is the Super Red Hawk the same?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Okay, thanks. Is the Super Red Hawk the same?
    Not the same. Specifically, the reach to the trigger is not the same, and, the SRH uses the same grip frame stud as the GP100. With a GP100 grip on my SRH Alaskan, I can reach the trigger, for a proper DA pull, something I cannot do with an N-Frame or a standard RH.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Not the same. Specifically, the reach to the trigger is not the same, and, the SRH uses the same grip frame stud as the GP100. With a GP100 grip on my SRH Alaskan, I can reach the trigger, for a proper DA pull, something I cannot do with an N-Frame or a standard RH.
    Alrighty, so for me, the only way I can use an N frame RB is with my stags and a grip adapter. Throw wooden targets on and I am in an h-grip, which you know from experience (Iv'e read your posts) isn't super healthy.
    I almost think I need to talk to Bowen and go find a couple Ruger's to fondle.

I was just playing around with my std Redhawk the other day. I was analyzing the balance and the contact points of the grip with the factory grips, which I prefer above all other styles for the Redhawk. My particular gun is a 7-1/2 in. version, but the decision has been made to shorten that a bit, right now I'm stuck on 4 inches, bu I'm keeping an open mind about this to the end. Anyway, the primary point of contact for me was the top of my middle finger on the under side of the grip frame as a pivot point of sorts, along with the palm swell on the back of the grip frame in heavy contact with my upper palm. I've had a number of std RHs, and never noticed, or paid any attention to this before. We had another gun handy that matched these characteristics almost exactly- an old three-screw 357 SA with a heavy 5 inch octagon barrel. There was only a slight difference for me between the balance of the two guns. My last 629 contacted the lower area of my palm and was of course, lighter. I need to get the tube cut and finished and see what difference that makes. Also, the RH grip frame is wider than the N frames as well. Honestly, there's a lot more steel in a Redhawk than an N frame, and I still prefer the RH. I've sort of shot all three model 29s loose in short order. This project will be interesting, rebalancing a Redhawk. Maybe I need a T-Grip to try out as well.

I should have blown off the 44 magnum idea and stuck with Colts.

My first Bowen Alpine had the round butt, and it ruined my ability to control recoil. My second was left square butt and is mo better.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My first Bowen Alpine had the round butt, and it ruined my ability to control recoil. My second was left square butt and is mo better.
    Thanks. From pics you've posted, it looks like you hands are quite a bit larger than mine, I think I would have quite a struggle with a square butt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Thanks. From pics you've posted, it looks like you hands are quite a bit larger than mine, I think I would have quite a struggle with a square butt.
    That's an important observation. The original RH gripframe is quite large and most grips make it too big. The factory wood grips are too small for effective control with high recoiling loads, but common grips like Hogue rubber/wood and most other aftermarket grips make the grip huge. I eventually got a good price on a set of Nill stocks that were a good compromise between the two extremes. Unfortunately, most of the time when you see these today, they're over $200

I wear a Large size glove, but most gloves in that size are a bit loose on me. I'm more of a "medium-large". I hope that gives you an idea of the threshold where the RH gripframe becomes too big.

The Super Redhawk grip stud gives you more options, but you have to live with the ugly gun.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It's interesting that you mention this. I like the way RB Smiffs carry, but I almost always ended up with square butt conversion grips on them. And for the same reason. Perhaps the std Redhawk simply needs to have the butt thinned a mite, and matching grips crafted.

User Tag List