Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made a big move without consulting the hive, was it a mistake?

I made a big move without consulting the hive, was it a mistake?

I ordered leather pancake thumb brake holsters for my EDC 640 pro and my cw45(never carried due to lack of holster) a few days back. I have had limited experience with holsters, but the old school thumb brake that came with my Trooper mk.III is the only carry holster I own that I am 100% happy with. (Picked up yet another Fobus for my p32 too, but that's a different discussion.)

I always wear big untucked shirts, so OWB works for me. Speed of draw is nowhere near important to me as retention and comfort. I would have gone Safariland thumb release if that was an option, but it wasn't. (I imagine I will be getting one for my px4 in the future, and heck, my pt92 if a m92 version would work . Thanks to the guys at Bullzeye Sports in Wilmington, NC for letting me try their personal models.)

I guess I will be seeing the cons soon enough. Any thoughts?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Watching people reholster trying to keep the thumb break from getting in the way can be harrowing. There's probably a reason why thumb breaks have fallen from favor, I wonder if that's one of them.

A protruding leather thumb-break strap can get into the trigger guard. Be sure your re-holster procedure takes this into account, and, train slowly and diligently.

To state the obvious, your 640 does not have an accessible hammer, to monitor during re-holstering. Take extra care.

No retention system seems to be totally without at least one caveat, or another.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    A protruding leather thumb-break strap can get into the trigger guard. Be sure your re-holster procedure takes this into account, and, train slowly and diligently.

To state the obvious, your 640 does not have an accessible hammer, to monitor during re-holstering. Take extra care.

No retention system seems to be totally without at least one caveat, or another.
    The cw45 has no hammer at all. Thanks guys, I will be cautious in re-holstering, and train accordingly. I may move to something with an external hammer or a striker fired gun with "gadget" someday.

This will probably make me lean towards exposed hammer revolvers in the future.

Everything in toting and using guns seems to be a compromise, it's a matter of what compromises you feel comfortable with.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Most thumb break revolver holsters depend on a hammer to hook under the retaining strap -unless yours is cut for a hammerless gun .
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I’m guessing that the thumb break for the 640 is behind the trigger guard? At any rate these rigs can still work with old school tech like wheelguns. The extra spring rate and cylinder rotation makes it a lot harder to discharge by accidentally holstering up with the snap in front of the trigger. Probably a super-comfy rig with a 640. Don’t have any thumb break semi-auro experience, myself—though general caution around all things striker fired would make me opt for moden kydex with those set ups. The whole thing; gun, holster, carry position, tends to be a system. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I like thumb-breaks but not all are created equal, as in all things. Use this one for my LCR when fat biking state forest behind my house:

Active retention feels pretty good when likely to hit the ground at speed. Also like it when backcountry camping. Comfort plus extra security with bonus added material over the gun.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 07-16-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Got my 640 holster today--oddly enough, it's serial number 640. It's an Azula model for shrouded hammer guns, works fine with the 640. Getting the thumb break strap in the trigger guard seems unlikely, as it is mounted high and it is quite stiff. While playing around with it I realized I have "trained" myself to only grip any pistol with my bottom 3 fingers with my index finger pointing out and off the gun while holstering. I will practice making sure I always do this. I always look at the gun while I am holstering.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    I like thumb-breaks but not all are created equal, as in all things. Use this one for my LCR when fat biking state forest behind my house:

Active retention feels pretty good when likely to hit the ground at speed. Also like it when backcountry camping. Comfort plus extra security with bonus added material over the gun.
    I have become more concerned with retention due to carrying while riding a lawn mower. The new holster will probably see about as much use for open carry on my property as for CC.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Got my 640 holster today--oddly enough, it's serial number 640. It's an Azula model for shrouded hammer guns, works fine with the 640. Getting the thumb break strap in the trigger guard seems unlikely, as it is mounted high and it is quite stiff. While playing around with it I realized I have "trained" myself to only grip any pistol with my bottom 3 fingers with my index finger pointing out and off the gun while holstering. I will practice making sure I always do this. I always look at the gun while I am holstering.
    Serial number on a holster? Sure that’s not a model number, or model of gun?

User Tag List