Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Bronco aimed at the Jeep Gladiator

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Curious what you thought about access to the “trunk” with the soft top?

Around 1:31 here
    The salesman showed us that. I guess if you routinely load tall things back there it's handy? We'll wait for the hard top, so didn't pay a lot of attention. I don't want plastic windows. The lack of a defroster and lack of a wiper blade vetoes the soft top for us. I do like they sell a vault lid sort of thing that does create secure storage with the tailgate closed regardless of the top, though. $640 option.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceride View Post
    ...and can give my "living with" impressions of both, and the Ranger, on which the Bronco is based...
    I think a lot of people would be interested in that. I really liked the cloth seats in the Bronco.

Side question: Any word if the PHEV Ranger is coming to the US?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The salesman showed us that. I guess if you routinely load tall things back there it's handy? We'll wait for the hard top, so didn't pay a lot of attention. I don't want plastic windows. The lack of a defroster and lack of a wiper blade vetoes the soft top for us. I do like they sell a vault lid sort of thing that does create secure storage with the tailgate closed regardless of the top, though. $640 option.
    I was thinking the opposite, in both cases.

I would *want* a soft top because I’d want the “family convertible” aspect.

But, I find that means of access to the rear cargo area to be so stupidly obnoxious that I wouldn’t consider a soft top Bronco.

Which, combined with all the issues, recalls, delays, availability problems… makes this one of the most disappointing rollouts in history for me personally.

But, I keep hoping someone with a lot of hands-on with the soft top trunk access comes back and explains why it doesn’t suck. I so want to be wrong about that…
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I was thinking the opposite, in both cases.

I would *want* a soft top because I’d want the “family convertible” aspect.

But, I find that means of access to the rear cargo area to be so stupidly obnoxious that I wouldn’t consider a soft top Bronco.

Which, combined with all the issues, recalls, delays, availability problems… makes this one of the most disappointing rollouts in history for me personally.

But, I keep hoping someone with a lot of hands-on with the soft top trunk access comes back and explains why it doesn’t suck. I so want to be wrong about that…
    If I didn't live where winter was a thing, I probably wouldn't care about the hard top as much but I can't say for sure until I hear how loud it is at freeway speeds. The hard top is still convertible, and modular. I suspect I would prefer the ability to go either "sunroof" mode or full topless, based on my history with t-tops, convertibles, and removable roofs over the years. My wife for sure prefers the ability to configure it quickly with one person, and the modular roof panels would let her do that.

I don't care about loading large things back there because I won't be loading large things back there. If it were an only vehicle, that would be more of a concern, I'm sure.

We drove two Gladiators, an Overland and a Willy's. The Overland was more our speed, but we both preferred the Bronco to either.

Curious what you thought about access to the “trunk” with the soft top?
    It's as good as the Jeep system, I think. And you don't actually have to move the plastic rear window like you do in the Jeep to use it. I do like the rear vault, and will install one when my Bronco comes in. I prioritized a bunch of customers' Broncos before mine, so I still have some waiting to do, I think.

I think a lot of people would be interested in that. I really liked the cloth seats in the Bronco.

Side question: Any word if the PHEV Ranger is coming to the US?
    So, one man's opinions, in no particular order.

• The Ranger/Bronco are wider than the Wrangler/Gladiator. Only an inch or two, but it is noticable.
    • The steering wheel on the Wrangler/Gladiator is closer and more vertical than the Bronco/Ranger
    • The soft top Bronco is quieter than either soft top Jeep. Dunno about the hard top compairison because we haven't got a hard top Bronco...
    • The new soft top in the JL Jeeps and the Bronco are both easier to use the the old JK Jeeps
    • Bronco/Ranger with the 2.3 EcoBoost is peppier than the Wrangler/Gladiator with the 3.6l V6. The Wranger wiith the 2.0L Turbo is there, tho

Currently in a Willys Gladiator with 2" MOPAR lift and 34" Toyo Open Country tires. This replaced a Ranger Lariat with leveling kit and the same tires. Multiple Wranglers over the last 15 years... Maybe the proper summation is the Bronco feels more refined, but I haven't got to play with a Sasquatch yet either

Glad to answer specific questions if I can

Any word on the hybrid version? Rumor was a 3.0 combined with an electric motor for a PHEV version of both the Ranger and Bronco would be coming out maybe next year, but with the pandemic and supply issues maybe that's been pushed back?

Trailrecon is one of my favorite offroading YouTube channels. They dropped this video a few days ago from the SEMA show going over some of the aftermarket parts and mods already being done to Broncos. Pretty cool stuff

ETA: they also have a video from SEMA about Jeep parts/mods that I'm sure is interesting, I'll get around to watching that one tonight or tomorrow.

Any word on the hybrid version? Rumor was a 3.0 combined with an electric motor for a PHEV version of both the Ranger and Bronco would be coming out maybe next year, but with the pandemic and supply issues maybe that's been pushed back?
    I don’t have any specifics. These are both planned but Ford never tells dealers details until they are imminent, because we’ll blab!

It's as good as the Jeep system, I think. And you don't actually have to move the plastic rear window like you do in the Jeep to use it. I do like the rear vault, and will install one when my Bronco comes in. I prioritized a bunch of customers' Broncos before mine, so I still have some waiting to do, I think.

So, one man's opinions, in no particular order.

• The Ranger/Bronco are wider than the Wrangler/Gladiator. Only an inch or two, but it is noticable.
    • The steering wheel on the Wrangler/Gladiator is closer and more vertical than the Bronco/Ranger
    • The soft top Bronco is quieter than either soft top Jeep. Dunno about the hard top compairison because we haven't got a hard top Bronco...
    • The new soft top in the JL Jeeps and the Bronco are both easier to use the the old JK Jeeps
    • Bronco/Ranger with the 2.3 EcoBoost is peppier than the Wrangler/Gladiator with the 3.6l V6. The Wranger wiith the 2.0L Turbo is there, tho

Currently in a Willys Gladiator with 2" MOPAR lift and 34" Toyo Open Country tires. This replaced a Ranger Lariat with leveling kit and the same tires. Multiple Wranglers over the last 15 years... Maybe the proper summation is the Bronco feels more refined, but I haven't got to play with a Sasquatch yet either

That’s interesting feedback, thanks!

I’ve been researching getting a small Class C RV and a Jeep 2-door as a toad. It would likely wind up also being someone’s daily driver (mine). I was hoping the Bronco 2-door might be a more interesting option and a more enjoyable daily for me.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List