Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Bronco aimed at the Jeep Gladiator

New Bronco is such a tease. Just like a new rifle for the Army. Lots of fluff, no results. [emoji1787]

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm done with the lack of real photos. Nothing but tease gets boring after a while.
    This.

I did some googling. It's not even clear to me that the "concept" renderings are coming from Ford. It's like when all the magazines had articles with pictures of the upcoming new Miata and none of them looked like anything Mazda was working on. Actual fake news.

There was the concept vehicle. I doubt production will be very close to that (and hope I'm right).

I hope the off-road capability is there. You can buy a Wrangler with credible running gear if you pay enough. One of the beauties of the original Bronco is that it was basically F-100 running gear in a compact package. Today, that would be a Ranger-sized SUV built with F-150 drivetrain and suspension underneath. Would be worthy. Is unlikely.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    This is why I keep throwing money at my '97 4Runner. Even if I had the scratch for a brand new Bronco, there's no way I'd risk it in the woods until it was at least 4 years old and paid off, probably not even then.

Chris

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My bikes ended up on their sides with frequency (on dirt). Way more fun than anything with four wheels, for me at least.

I hate mud.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-16-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'm going to be in the market for something like a this in a year or two. I really miss my 91 Tacoma with the 4 banger, SWB, 4WD and high ground clearance. I'm not expecting Ford to bring back the Bronco but they did bring back the Ranger so one never know, do one. I was looking at the new Ranger at Costco a few days ago but really haven't made any in depth comparisons. The Colorado seems to be a good seller these days but I've had a Chevy pickup for 12 years and I'm not overly impressed. Lots of electrical/sensor problems like a 737.

One thing I noticed was US companies like to nickel and dime you on options. Toyota never got into that so will be looking hard at another Tacoma. I've had 4 Toyota pickups and they all were low maintenance.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    My Dad had a 1975 Scout. Color was Terra Cotta. 4 leaf spring suspension, bench seats, manual trans. He loved that thing. You could disassemble that truck with an adjustable wrench and a big screwdriver. It rode so rough that a trip tomthe corner grocery store required a kidney transplant.
    I have an '84 Chevy K5 Blazer. Rides like shit but nobody cares. Everybody thinks it's cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/28/...co-spy-photos/

Name:  this-could-be-the-ford-bronco-1.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  100.9 KB

Bearing in mind, protos are not only camo'ed in this way, they often have mis-matched panels and deliberate bulges to hide the actual shape.

I often wonder how many of these stories are because someone drafted an idea just to see how it would fly, and not incidentally to keep busy against the next round of downsizing. My brother in law was in Fords Light Trucks division, and had some paintings of rather unusual looking pickups on his den wall...

A new Bronco SUV would be cool. A new Bronco Pickup would compete directly with the Ranger, so I fail to see the point.
    (I always felt that the Explorer Sport Trac helped kill the old Ranger. Maybe I'm wrong. Certainly Ford's marketing department has better info than my gut.)
    (I hope.)

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/28/...co-spy-photos/

Name:  this-could-be-the-ford-bronco-1.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  100.9 KB

Bearing in mind, protos are not only camo'ed in this way, they often have mis-matched panels and deliberate bulges to hide the actual shape.
    The Big 3 had, and probably still have, offices that exit solely to "camouflage" prototypes out on the road. GMs was imaginatively called "GM Camouflage Services."

EDIT to add: That dinky short bed looks like they've decided to go up against the Subaru Baja...
    Last edited by Drang; 07-16-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    This is why I keep throwing money at my '97 4Runner. Even if I had the scratch for a brand new Bronco, there's no way I'd risk it in the woods until it was at least 4 years old and paid off, probably not even then.

Chris
    IIRC, I had a '96. Bulletproof. Loved that thing. I regret selling it.
    Best feature: Electric roll-down rear window. I think they still have it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

A new Bronco Pickup would compete directly with the Ranger, so I fail to see the point.
    I thought the same thing after looking at a new Ranger. It's not a bad looking rig but wouldn't want a first year of anything. I have an 07 Duramax pickup, the one they changed 100% in Jan of 07 with the new body style and new engine. BIG mistake. Eats injectors and glow plugs for breakfast. I had to find a local mechanic (mom and pop operation) to afford the maintenance. I'm talking about 1K a year (dealer) average since I bought it. It's a good truck when it runs. .
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-16-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List