Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Bronco aimed at the Jeep Gladiator

It has an electric shift transfer case so it's a worthless piece of shit as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Name:  109349706_10158579159138270_7853071292519051519_o.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  34.0 KB

My fiance was looking at the specs on one as she's interested in a sporty SUV. She was mentioning some of the GOAT driving modes. I asked her if there was a setting titled "felony evading." She wasn't sure what I meant. I told her to forget about it, but that she should buy a white one.

Thus ends the extent of my thoughts on the new Ford Bronco.

I spent the better part of my college and early career days banging around on trails and rocks just like this commercial in a modest mid-90's Jeep Cherokee with 31" tires, Detroit locker, aftermarket steel bumpers, rock rails and skid plates, manual disconnecting sway bars, etc.

It took me a lot of cool places including in AZ, UT, NM and CO.

Of course, it remains to be seen how durable the components are compared to the aftermarket, but it appears that Ford paid attention to the apparently small niche of people who do this. This thing seems well thought out, with a bunch of features and options that are actually applicable to off-roading out west.

It doesn't fit my context in boring North Texas, but I'd be very tempted by it if I still lived out west in the mountain states.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Speaking of which, this has to be the first time I've heard of remote-disengage sway bars. Prior, you had some sort of cotter pin arrangement that allowed you to "break" the end link to disconnect the sway bars. It was always a pita to get on the ground to disconnect them at the trailhead, then reconnect them once you were done before getting back on the highway. That's why I just lived with the "handicap" and never bothered with them myself.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Attachment 57339

It’s definitely a nice feature to have even if it isn’t used often (I forget I have it). Time will tell how well the electric parts will hold up.
    The push button sway bar disconnect has been on the Wranglers (and Ram Power wagons) for a few years now. My JK Rubicon has it, but non Rubicon models got the manual cotter pin style. The electronic version is certainly more convenient, though if you’re on rough enough trails for enough time to justify using it you might also be getting out to air down your tires as well...

Edited to delete my big stupid angry rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

The thing with the 4R is they're just a good solid vehicle with a good reputation. They're also built in Japan where they still have some quality control. I had a 2007 Chev I bought new and it was nothing but a money pit. When I sold that thing it was one of the happier days of my life. I've had 5 new Toyota's. They all made 150K or more without any problems. I started buying Toyota's in 78.
    There is something here. I've had 4 5th gen 4runners. I currently have a 2019 trd pro Tundra. The QC in the 4 4runners were noticeably better.

One example: Body seams on underside of vehicle. The seams on many cars are tack welded. If you are lucky the OEM gives a hoot they and will seal these with some high strength sealant. Most of the time this is applied like a 5 yr old plays with mud--splashed up or like the underside of the car/truck was hit with a gooey IED. On the 4runners I've had (4 of them) the underside seams are sealed. Yet the sealant is applied in a manner that looks like a journeymen welder's stacked dimes. On the Tundra its applied in a neat line in what looks like a single pass. I've also noticed differences in wiring neatness, steering wheel, and dashboard speakers.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I am a pretty loyal fan of japanese autos. Especially toyotas. A toyota 4x4 of some kind will probably be my next car.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am a pretty loyal fan of japanese autos. Especially toyotas. A toyota 4x4 of some kind will probably be my next car.
    Wasn't the Bronco II and the 1st gen Ranger a joint effort between Mazda and Ford? I wonder if others have their hands in this model.

I'm a Toyota fan for sure. My neighbor, a farmer, has had quite a few 1st gen Rangers and now a Tacoma. The rangers were pretty solid but the Tacoma has held up far better.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    The lack of a manual transmission for the 2.7 is a bummer.

User Tag List