Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Bronco aimed at the Jeep Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’ve been tossing the idea of one around for a while to replace my Tundra. I have not been happy with trucks of late. Up until about 2010, I had one variation or another of a 1500 series P/U. 8 foot bed, enough amenities to make it useable and comfortable. I bought a Tundra TRD Rock Warrior in 2013 and loved it. Crew cab for the kids, plenty of off road utility...but it had a short box. I found myself dragging a utility trailer more and more when I needed building materials. Then in 2020, I traded it in (250K on it) for a 2020 Tundra Limited. THAT is the most “pussified” truck I’ve ever owned. I hate it. Not only does it still have a short bed, the rear seats now fold up instead of down, basically limiting the use of the rear seat area to hauling groceries. I can’t even fit a sun screen behind the rear seat because the backs are bolted. The older one with the folding seat was great for the dog as it could be folded flat, his bed tossed on top, and he’d roll in style with a great view. The first time he hopped into the 2020, he looked at me like “WTF is this?” It was difficult for him in his later years to be comfortable getting in and out of it and riding. Oh...did I mention it handles the snow like shit? Like I said, my opinion is it was designed by a bunch of Karen’s and marketed to guys who want a “truck” but have to “sell” the idea to their overbearing significant other.

Well fast forward to 5/6/22. Kids are gone. Dog passed in October. It seems the idea of a GOOD general purpose truck...4WD, non crew cab, not lifted 6 feet in the air but capable off road doesn’t really exist. At least in my view. I’ve looked heavily at Tacoma’s (really like Toyota) but the size puts me off for a P/U. It’s smaller, and I have an even shorter bed area now. I’ve looked at 4-Runners too. That’s too much like a minivan to me...regardless of what package is bolted on to it. Enter the Bronco. It’s on the short list now. Trouble is finding one with the stuff on it I want in order to test drive it. I figure if I’m gonna haul a trailer, what difference does it make?
    Trailer was the answer for me. I sold my 2500 Duramax several years ago. I like driving my 4R a lot more. No more mean notes left on my windshield about being a complete asshole for owning a land yacht and taking up parking space for SJW's. That really gets my blood pressure up. The 4WD Duramax, believe it or not, was a real pig in the snow. We have a few acres so parking it and an RV wasn't a problem, but we sold the trailer so I had no need for a LB diesel PU anymore. I don't miss it. Price of diesel is insane.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    You can’t put a 4x8 sheet of anything in a short bed, nor can you even carry a 2x4 without it hanging over. Whenever I haul building supplies, I’m always doing it with a little 10’ Karavan. Easier to load/unload with drop down sides as well. What I need is to turn the clock back to about 2008. Give me a cab and a half or extended with an entry door, decent storage back there, and a full size bed. 4WD with a decent package on it.

I could buy a decked out Bronco Squatch and buy a new trailer and still be cheaper than a truck that doesn’t work for me anymore.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I could buy a decked out Bronco Squatch and buy a new trailer and still be cheaper than a truck that doesn’t work for me anymore.
    I've considered solutions like that in the past (already have the trailer even). What I constantly come back to is never having the trailer when I want/need it. If I need 3 sheets of plywood and some 2x material, I generally stop and get it on the way home. I don't really care that none of it "fits in the bed" since I also have tie-downs, straps, etc. and haven't had any issues to date.

I just assume that the truck market has responded to people figuring out that 8ft beds aren't really all that necessary 99% of the time to 75% of truck buyers.

Bringing this back on-topic, I just don't see a Bronco with a trailer solving that issue for me, and it's what keeps me out of one (among other things).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    I have several friends with thousands of miles on Jeep Gladiators. I've actually went from not liking them to kind of wanting one. With a lift and 35" or larger tires they look normal. Anything less and it looks weird and the break over angle is horrible. Fortunately I'm pretty happy with our current vehicles so we're in no hurry to move on to anything else.
    I'm semi-seriously considering a Gladiator as my next vehicle. They're just so danged expensive these days. And if i'm spending that much, I'm pretty demanding that I get it exactly as I want it down the valve stem caps. Thankfully I haven't the right config on a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We're contemplating a long road trip to Moab. There's no way I want to drag a trailer all that way, figure out how to secure a trailer'd toy from theft, etc. The smart thing for us to do would be drive out then rent a Jeep for $300-ish a day. I don't always do the smart thing, though.
    Wife and I are planning a road trip across through CO and into Moab and looping back later this summer. I'm in the same boat on "smart thing to do". She's totally on board with the idea of buying our own Jeep in time for the trip. Leaving me to be the responsible one.

To quote my fellow Okie Joe Exotic.... "I may never financially recover from this!"
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    You can’t put a 4x8 sheet of anything in a short bed, nor can you even carry a 2x4 without it hanging over.
    Depends on how many you are getting, but I think the Silverado with the multi-flex tailgate thing lets you carry 8' sheets without hanging over as long as the tailgate is down and the 'lip' is flipped up.

I've been fine with the 6 1/2' bed on my quad cab Ram, but I'm not doing it for a living either. 5-6 sheets is probably as much as I've needed in one go so I just left the tailgate up and slid them over.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I'm semi-seriously considering a Gladiator as my next vehicle. They're just so danged expensive these days. And if i'm spending that much, I'm pretty demanding that I get it exactly as I want it down the valve stem caps. Thankfully I haven't the right config on a lot.
    Order one. Granger is probably the closest to you, 4% below invoice for a factory order and I think their doc fees are less than $200. Gupton Motors in TN may be further than you want to go, but they can do 5-7% off invoice. 5% normal, 1% more if you have a "tread lightly" membership or other discount code, and 1% kickback if you finance through them.

I like the concept of the Mojave one, but not enough to buy one so far. I don't care about removable roof panels and think the Ranger Raptor will be more my thing for a midsize truck. The Gladiator is reasonably comfortable, but it's not wowing anyone with power on the highway.

We're contemplating a long road trip to Moab. There's no way I want to drag a trailer all that way, figure out how to secure a trailer'd toy from theft, etc. The smart thing for us to do would be drive out then rent a Jeep for $300-ish a day. I don't always do the smart thing, though.
    Wife and I are planning a road trip across through CO and into Moab and looping back later this summer. I'm in the same boat on "smart thing to do". She's totally on board with the idea of buying our own Jeep in time for the trip. Leaving me to be the responsible one.
    Timely. FB reminded me that today is the one year anniversary of one of my best days ever. Rented Rubicon, Shafer Trail.

I remarked to my wife that they should have had a Jeep salesman outside the rental place when we got back as I'd have stroked a check to buy one on the spot. Kind of like recruiters waiting outside of Top Gun...

Name:  183087755_10159345546218104_8004799233451957781_n.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  64.7 KB

Totally forgot we had video too. If y'all wind up out there, do this trail!

Last edited by rob_s; 05-06-2022 at 01:51 PM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Order one. Granger is probably the closest to you, 4% below invoice for a factory order and I think their doc fees are less than $200. Gupton Motors in TN may be further than you want to go, but they can do 5-7% off invoice. 5% normal, 1% more if you have a "tread lightly" membership or other discount code, and 1% kickback if you finance through them.

I like the concept of the Mojave one, but not enough to buy one so far. I don't care about removable roof panels and think the Ranger Raptor will be more my thing for a midsize truck. The Gladiator is reasonably comfortable, but it's not wowing anyone with power on the highway.
    Do you sell cars on your days off? If you don't you probably should.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

…….

To quote my fellow Okie Joe Exotic.... "I may never financially recover from this!"
    Well, these “problems” cleared up and I was able to find the exact options list I wanted on a truck headed to a dealer about 2 hours away. The fleet has expanded - Moab here we come!

Name:  181850E4-5934-4BA3-BE32-15FB0EC14D34.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  94.4 KB
    Name:  717F0D80-6405-4FAE-840D-865689C20AFD.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  100.5 KB
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Well, these “problems” cleared up and I was able to find the exact options list I wanted on a truck headed to a dealer about 2 hours away. The fleet has expanded - Moab here we come!

Name:  181850E4-5934-4BA3-BE32-15FB0EC14D34.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  94.4 KB
    Name:  717F0D80-6405-4FAE-840D-865689C20AFD.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  100.5 KB
    Nice! If the Ranger Raptor wasn't allegedly coming out soon, I think I'd pull the trigger on the Gladiator. I've watched eleventy bajillion videos on them now, have mostly talked myself out of another full size truck, and have (rather accidentally as a function of watching so much Gladiator stuff) discovered some relatively easy trails/routes around me I didn't know existed before. I'm trying to be patient and see what the Ranger is actually like before making a decision. Given I've kept my current truck for a bit over 10 years now and take the "buy and hold" approach I very much want to get exactly what I want since I'll have it a loooong time as well.

User Tag List