Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Bronco aimed at the Jeep Gladiator

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Some people are a few decades behind and/or haven't learned anything new since that 1994 Consumer Reports they browsed at the doctor's office. Japanese vehicles are created by the gods and delivered to man on a cloud of perfection. American cars drop the transmission out of the rusted out frame the week after they leave the dealer's lot.
    Well, my American car, purchased new by me, has not been as troublefree as my Japanese-manufactured Toyotas, but has been mostly on par with my American-manufactured Toyota and more reliable than my Honda Odyssey minivan, also made in the US.

So, my direct experience is that Japanese built Toyotas are better than American Fords. I still own and drive a 23yo 4Runner.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Toyotas are great, but a bunch of Tacos had to be crushed under warranty because they rusted in half, if something like that happened to a Chevy we would never hear the end of it.
    They were replacing frames for those under a certain mileage. My local Toyota dealership still had stacks of new frames behind it as of a couple years ago.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I still own and drive a 23yo 4Runner.
    I also kinda wonder about measuring reliability by how reliable something is that was much simpler and was only required to meet simpler regulations. My reliable Suburban was naturally aspirated and had one camshaft and one short cam chain, and in general was a pretty low stress affair. I will have to wait and see if the replacement, that is turbocharged and more cam chains than I exactly know, might be as reliable. Considering it has a fuel injection system that runs at a high enough pressure that it can inject directly in a manner that enables it to run on regular pump gas, I am thinking it may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not surprised about GM fucking that up.
    I'm glad I have a REAL Blazer

Site Supporter
    I also kinda wonder about measuring reliability by how reliable something is that was much simpler and was only required to meet simpler regulations. My reliable Suburban was naturally aspirated and had one camshaft and one short cam chain, and in general was a pretty low stress affair. I will have to wait and see if the replacement, that is turbocharged and more cam chains than I exactly know, might be as reliable. Considering it has a fuel injection system that runs at a high enough pressure that it can inject directly in a manner that enables it to run on regular pump gas, I am thinking it may not be.
    The parts that have given me trouble on my newer vehicles are not the parts that make them more complex or are designed specifically meet tougher regulations. In fact, there is probably not a great deal of difference between those parts and their corresponding ones on my old truck (except the plastic intake on my '03 Camry vs the metal one on my '97 4Runner).

Chris

I also kinda wonder about measuring reliability by how reliable something is that was much simpler and was only required to meet simpler regulations.
    I remember, back in the day before electronic ignition and fuel injection, during the first cold snap, seeing all the cars nose to nose, with the hood up and the jumper cables, with the can of starting fluid sitting on the fender. I don't see that any more.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    (except the plastic intake on my '03 Camry vs the metal one on my '97 4Runner)
    I think the plastic intake was one of the few things the Suburban ever needed attention on.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Toyotas are great, but a bunch of Tacos had to be crushed under warranty because they rusted in half
    Toyota was offering trade-in allowances that were well over Bluebook to get people to trade in the ones that were out of warranty.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I have seen several photos/renderings of the 2020 Ford Bronco. The one showing a pickup version at the beginning of this thread is the very first one I have seen that depicts the vehicle in a "pickup" configuration.

The one shown below is pretty much how everything I have seen looks:

Name:  2020bronco.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  100.7 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I remember, back in the day before electronic ignition and fuel injection, during the first cold snap, seeing all the cars nose to nose, with the hood up and the jumper cables, with the can of starting fluid sitting on the fender. I don't see that any more.
    I had a '71 International with a manual choke. I had a block heater and a battery heater. I rolled it towing a trailer that broke an axle and lost a wheel.

It's the only vehicle I've had and lost that I miss.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List