Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Bronco aimed at the Jeep Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It does if you actually use it like it's marketed. Most people just want the image though and will never actually go wheeling. I'm not one of those people.
    the question is, would you even buy it if it did have the feature you want?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The one I drove felt underpowered ... More power definitely would have changed my impression
    Apparently Ford has shifted how they option powertrains by associating them with a trim level, so unless you drove the Badlands or First Edition, it had the triple.

I might also clarify that I am not trying to put one of these things off on my wife like she just needs some kinda Chick Car and wouldn't care, she likes cars. The best gift I ever got her was a track school day at Mid-Ohio, and in one of the autocross exercises she put a time that was less than a second off Rahal's best (this would be referencing Bobby, not Graham). She is not sure this is what she wants because she really wants a GTI but is not certain she doesn't want another SUV. She is kind of a hoot, eleven years ago she decided she wanted an Element with a stick they had quit building new ones and we chased down a slightly used one in Wisconsin instead of buying one of the plentiful local new ones with automatics. She wants what she wants!

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    the question is, would you even buy it if it did have the feature you want?
    Probably. I'm not going to rush out and buy one as soon as they come out but both my vehicles are old and I have seriously been considering either a new Wrangler or TRD 4runner lately because those are the only two vehicles that have manual T-cases.

More importantly, why do care so much about the Bronco that you have to white knight for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Wrangler comparable gas mileage is a disappointment.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threa...co-2-7l.16492/
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Wrangler powertrain is a bad joke compared to the 2.7 V6, period.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Probably. I'm not going to rush out and buy one as soon as they come out but both my vehicles are old and I have seriously been considering either a new Wrangler or TRD 4runner lately because those are the only two vehicles that have manual T-cases.

More importantly, why do care so much about the Bronco that you have to white knight for it?
    "more importantly"? No, not really.

I don't know if that's a troll, a straw man, a red herring, a dunning kruger... I can't keep up with the various internet phrases like "white knight", but in any case...

I don't care so much about the Bronco.

I just get tired of the silly old tropes about "if it ain't got no ding-dang manual trans and a supercharged v8 and manual transfer case then it ain't no good for mah perceived hardcore offroad needs that are at best 1% of the target market and would make no damn sense for a manufacturer to try and appeal to when looking to sell mass-market products".

I mean jesus, not even all self-proclaimed off-roaders give a shit about the manual transfer case anymore.

somewhat related funny story....

We were just out west. Rented two Jeeps, on two different days, for three different trails. One the Moki Dugway, the other the Shafer Trail and the other the Gemini Bridges trail. For the former it was a pretty stock, previous generation, Jeep. For the latter two it was a Rubicon, current production, with further aftermarket modifications... The Gemini was the "hardest" of the trails, while the Shafer was the most ass-puckering.

In all cases, while we were there, "offroading" in our badass Jeep(s), we passed going the other way a minivan, a Ford Escape, a RAM-Promaster-based campervan...
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-11-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Apparently Ford has shifted how they option powertrains by associating them with a trim level, so unless you drove the Badlands or First Edition, it had the triple.
    The concept of tying a powertrain to a trim level goes back to the 1990s; Ford did it on the DN-101 ('96 Taurus/Sable). The benefit for the OEM is much fewer buildable combinations and fewer part variants.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Unless you're only driving is moderate highway cruising.......

You're right foot
    Accessories
    Lyft wheels and tires easily two to three miles to the gallon
    Cargo load
    Topography
    Stop and go or stop light frequency

ALL have way more effect than EPA numbers.....

Trucks and SUVs do not get good mileage.

Do the math on how many miles a year you drive and how much a difference 2 mi to the gallon would make.

Resale value and maintenance costs are far more of a consideration than $200 to $300 a year in fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    "more importantly"? No, not really.

I don't know if that's a troll, a straw man, a red herring, a dunning kruger... I can't keep up with the various internet phrases like "white knight", but in any case...

I don't care so much about the Bronco.

I just get tired of the silly old tropes about "if it ain't got no ding-dang manual trans and a supercharged v8 and manual transfer case then it ain't no good for mah perceived hardcore offroad needs that are at best 1% of the target market and would make no damn sense for a manufacturer to try and appeal to when looking to sell mass-market products".

I mean jesus, not even all self-proclaimed off-roaders give a shit about the manual transfer case anymore.

somewhat related funny story....

We were just out west. Rented two Jeeps, on two different days, for three different trails. One the Moki Dugway, the other the Shafer Trail and the other the Gemini Bridges trail. For the former it was a pretty stock, previous generation, Jeep. For the latter two it was a Rubicon, current production, with further aftermarket modifications... The Gemini was the "hardest" of the trails, while the Shafer was the most ass-puckering.

In all cases, while we were there, "offroading" in our badass Jeep(s), we passed going the other way a minivan, a Ford Escape, a RAM-Promaster-based campervan...
    I can't even count the number of times I've seen people asking for help diagnosing why their electronic shift 4wd won't work. The switches, wires, and shift motors fail all the time, not to mention center axle disconnects and their actuators and lines. Bad enough on a snowy day in the city. 30 miles from civilization it becomes a real problem. And in either case you're not going to know it doesn't work until you need it. I've seen one shift linkage on a manual T-case fail, and the guy was still able to get under the truck and jerry rig it.

And just because your experience "off-roading" was on "trails" a minivan could do, well that doesn't mean much to anyone else. I live in Colorado and there are lots of sites and ghost towns I want to see that require a decent 4x4 to get to.

Even if it wasn't that important, if I'm spending the kind of money a new vehicle costs, I want what I want. If that's a manual transfer case or a supercharger or a silly trim package then that's just what it'll take to get me to buy it. I don't know why you care about random people on the internet bitching about stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Living in the east, a Suburban solved all my off road 4WD needs. Out west is a whole different environment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List