Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Bronco aimed at the Jeep Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Meanwhile, my mother is driving around in a 12-year old FJ Cruiser with 180k miles on it that runs and drives excellently for its age. And it has not been treated kindly, just maintained. I know for a fact that thing has been beaten on driving some rocky 4-LO trails that most Jeep owners would be scared to drive.
    You don't know the same Jeep drivers I know.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    But if/when they bring out their twin turbo inline six that will be sweet, it just seems right that a Wrangler would have a straight six.
    I believe the new straight six is a Mercedes engine. It's a stretched 4 cyl to reduce tooling costs. It's length is shortened by it's smaller displacement, smaller piston diameter and increased stroke. It uses a starter/generator to boost power and improve throttle response. The accessories are electrically driven. Interesting combination of technology.

I've seen the new Broncos in action. Their trail performance is impressive.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Looks like this is the gadget I was looking for:

http://www.secure-idle.com/index.html

I found many references to a system used in the UK that references using it with manual transmissions called RunLock, not sure about US domestic availability.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It's a stretched 4 cyl to reduce tooling costs. It's length is shortened by it's smaller displacement, smaller piston diameter and increased stroke. It uses a starter/generator to boost power and improve throttle response. The accessories are electrically driven. Interesting combination of technology.
    I think a lotta development is going on with 0.5L per cylinder engines. I read an article about how many platforms manufactures like Ford can cross-pollinate 2.0L turbo engines, now we have 1.5L trips and 3.0L sixes. I love their idea of the exhaust manifold(s) that have three cylinders feeding a turbo each so the turbos can be small and spool fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any idea what trim?

I finally saw a "base model" on the road the other day. I actually didn't even realize it was a new Bronco at first. Sat there staring at it wondering what this weird little anemic looking thing was. Finally realized it was a Bronco, and then realized that I'd never seen a base model even in print/video!

2door-BASE:2-door BASE, the current Wrangler wins the looks contest IMO (doesn't hurt that this is the best looking base Wrangler ever)
    4-door $70k:4-Door $70k, the Bronco wins IMO
    Don't know. 2 door so not a Sport, with 17 or 18" wheels and a Banks Turbo badge on it. I'll take a pic the next time I'm there. First one I've ever seen. He's had it for a month or so.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    We've regularly started seeing Broncos. The four door looks like a four door Jeep with a different front clip. The two door in blue is really good looking. Everyone I know who has gotten one has had major issues. We won't seriously consider one for four or five years at this point, even though my wife really likes the looks of them.

I have several friends with thousands of miles on Jeep Gladiators. I've actually went from not liking them to kind of wanting one. With a lift and 35" or larger tires they look normal. Anything less and it looks weird and the break over angle is horrible. Fortunately I'm pretty happy with our current vehicles so we're in no hurry to move on to anything else.

I can’t get past the logic of owning a nice pickup and a SxS over a Jeep or a Bronco. That being said, the Bronco looks nice. In my area, the well off housewives often drive lifted Jeeps, I hope that the Bronco isn’t co-opted into that lifestyle of lifted 4x4 grocery getter parked on a .16 acre lot, but I’ll live if it does.
    #RESIST

Part of me is sorry I didn’t go with a Bronco, but the $20k market adjustment was insane. My Ridgeline suits me well.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I can’t get past the logic of owning a nice pickup and a SxS over a Jeep or a Bronco. That being said, the Bronco looks nice. In my area, the well off housewives often drive lifted Jeeps, I hope that the Bronco isn’t co-opted into that lifestyle of lifted 4x4 grocery getter parked on a .16 acre lot, but I’ll live if it does.
    I already have a nice pickup, but I'd find it a bother to park a trailer and garage a side by side given the number of vehicles already occupying my driveway and garage. Apartment dwellers/street parkers/parking garage users may find it even more of a bother or outright impossible without renting storage space somewhere. It's just much easier to have one SUV than Tow rig+trailer+toy. Overlanders probably want more than a side by side for overland-y stuff. HVAC while wheeling is nice, too.

We're contemplating a long road trip to Moab. There's no way I want to drag a trailer all that way, figure out how to secure a trailer'd toy from theft, etc. The smart thing for us to do would be drive out then rent a Jeep for $300-ish a day. I don't always do the smart thing, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve been tossing the idea of one around for a while to replace my Tundra. I have not been happy with trucks of late. Up until about 2010, I had one variation or another of a 1500 series P/U. 8 foot bed, enough amenities to make it useable and comfortable. I bought a Tundra TRD Rock Warrior in 2013 and loved it. Crew cab for the kids, plenty of off road utility...but it had a short box. I found myself dragging a utility trailer more and more when I needed building materials. Then in 2020, I traded it in (250K on it) for a 2020 Tundra Limited. THAT is the most “pussified” truck I’ve ever owned. I hate it. Not only does it still have a short bed, the rear seats now fold up instead of down, basically limiting the use of the rear seat area to hauling groceries. I can’t even fit a sun screen behind the rear seat because the backs are bolted. The older one with the folding seat was great for the dog as it could be folded flat, his bed tossed on top, and he’d roll in style with a great view. The first time he hopped into the 2020, he looked at me like “WTF is this?” It was difficult for him in his later years to be comfortable getting in and out of it and riding. Oh...did I mention it handles the snow like shit? Like I said, my opinion is it was designed by a bunch of Karen’s and marketed to guys who want a “truck” but have to “sell” the idea to their overbearing significant other.

Well fast forward to 5/6/22. Kids are gone. Dog passed in October. It seems the idea of a GOOD general purpose truck...4WD, non crew cab, not lifted 6 feet in the air but capable off road doesn’t really exist. At least in my view. I’ve looked heavily at Tacoma’s (really like Toyota) but the size puts me off for a P/U. It’s smaller, and I have an even shorter bed area now. I’ve looked at 4-Runners too. That’s too much like a minivan to me...regardless of what package is bolted on to it. Enter the Bronco. It’s on the short list now. Trouble is finding one with the stuff on it I want in order to test drive it. I figure if I’m gonna haul a trailer, what difference does it make?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    Jeep Gladiators. I've actually went from not liking them to kind of wanting one. With a lift and 35" or larger tires they look normal. Anything less and it looks weird and the break over angle is horrible. Fortunately I'm pretty happy with our current vehicles so we're in no hurry to move on to anything else.
    I pretty much agree. Hated them, now kinda liking them.

When we were out in Jackson WY I saw one with a roof rack that went from the front of the cab back over the bed, and it had (I think) a soft-side topper on the bed as well. If that rack has sections you can remove to get the bed clear for taller items, it seemed like a cool setup to me.

And, if nothing else, it LOOKED badass
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List