Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Bronco aimed at the Jeep Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Sample of one, but that doesn’t appear to be the case here

https://www.chevrolet.com/suvs/traverse

https://www.chevrolet.ca/en/suvs/traverse

BTW, for anyone pissed off about the Bronco towing capacity, the Traverse has a 5k lbs capacity lol
    Oh, I guess the cars are rated by the manufacturer for the North America market in general, and not different for the US vs Canada?

I assumed that Canada would get the same ratings as the UK given it's a Commonwealth, but I guess I was wrong. The North America vs rest of the world rating difference is real, though....tons of articles and videos about it.

Sorry to lead you astray and get your hopes up, @Maple Syrup Actual.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I thought it would be bigger... and had the hopes of having a secondary tow rig to get camper and boat to the lake/ocean at the same time. The bronco's rating would be pushing the limits and most likely over with boat and is out for the camper. I guess I'm back looking for a 'ho.
    I wouldn't want to tow anything that weighed more than 3K with an SUV. The wheelbase is too short.

3/4 ton pickup or bigger is what you need.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Oh, I guess the cars are rated by the manufacturer for the North America market in general, and not different for the US vs Canada?

I assumed that Canada would get the same ratings as the UK given it's a Commonwealth, but I guess I was wrong. The North America vs rest of the world rating difference is real, though....tons of articles and videos about it.

I was particularly curious because we have a Ram Promaster-based campervan and the tow rating we've been given is stupid low (the camper buildout eats a lot of the capacity) but I see people towing things that appear to be more than the rated amount.

I think the same van is sold overseas as a Fiat or something so maybe I could look up the UK spec.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I wouldn't want to tow anything that weighed more than 3K with an SUV. The wheelbase is too short.

3/4 ton pickup or bigger is what you need.
    Lots of people never consider the wheelbase when buying a tow vehcle. I towed a 7000 lb trailer (8000 loaded) for a few years in the mountain west. I was very happy that I had a 150" WB and plenty of low end torque. 6% grades are no joke.

I had several prospective buyers for our trailer who thought they could tow it with a V6 diesel. One guy had a Cherokee and the other had Colorado PU. I'm glad they both decided to look for something else.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    A Honda pilot and an F-150 weigh the same.

Even smaller SUVs like a CRV or escape weigh notably more that cars of the same basic size
    I never understood why people buy the cuv's like the pilot, front wheel drive and unibody are supposed to save weight over a rear wheel body on frame suv, if the unibody cuv weighs the same and gets the same mpg whats the point?

My truck is 4x4 also, with a v8 and frame and gets 21mpg and I see a lot of SUV's and SUV's that have v6's and get the same.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

It's okay - I actually knew this and didn't get my hopes up much.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The Maverick is a much more appealing "truck" to me. AWD, 5k tow rating, has a bed, fits in a garage, and cheap
    Not for me, I'll never own a unibody front wheel drive without low range again, learned that lesson the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    For highway cruising the drag coefficient drives fuel economy. Big frontal area = lots o drag
    These mid sized SUV's and CUV's are smaller than a full size truck so they have a little bit smaller front area.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Not for me, I'll never own a unibody front wheel drive without low range again, learned that lesson the hard way.
    I would argue that the Maverick isn't a "truck" in the same way as it sounds like you're looking for. More similar to an El Camino or a Ranchero than a "truck".

Just like the Jeep Gladiator isn't really a "truck" in the same sense.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would argue that the Maverick isn't a "truck" in the same way as it sounds like you're looking for. More similar to an El Camino or a Ranchero than a "truck".

Just like the Jeep Gladiator isn't really a "truck" in the same sense.
    Salesmen call anything body on frame a truck these days. Terminology changes over time. A trucker explained to me one time that pickups aren't trucks. His Kenworth was a truck. I had a pickup. I always thought a pickup was something that was designed to haul things other than people. But now that isn't true anymore because pickups are made to haul people and other things.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List