Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the general opinion of the S&W 6946?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Magazines are still easy AFAIK, thanks to Mecgar.
    I didn't know they made 5900 series mags. That's gonna make passing on the next one I come across that much harder. Shame they don't make .40 or .45 mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I don't fish, so i have no need for S&W autos as a boat anchor.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they're heavy. They make my Beretta 92's feel light by comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

When I first became a LEO 20+ years ago we were issued a 4046. That thing was a great less lethal weapon because it was soo dang heavy. As soon as I was able to carry my own handgun I happily switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Owned one a few years back, it was reliable as all gen 3's were, the alloy frame made it easy to carry, but I did not like the S&W DAO system/trigger at all. I am saying that as someone who is a fan of the DAK and the LEM, the S&W gen 3 DAO was just much harder for me to manage and perform with.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I have a LE 6946 (no mag safety) that I bought at a GS moving sale. It's my "automatic revolver" as, to my mind, the only difference between shooting it and a DAO revolver is reloading it. When I moved, I spent quite a bit in buying 10-round mags for it.

If I found a good deal on a 3953, I'd grab it up.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I got a nice 6906 from aim surplus

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I had a S&W 6906. Bought it new. Just didn't shoot it that much........my fault, not the pistols. I have so wanted it back, but years ago I traded it for another firearm. I still am on the lookout for one, but not burning up the road looking.

Parts are drying up, but here is a place to buy parts other than the frame. Never used them, just a parts option.

https://everygunpart.com/handgun-kit...nufacturer=552

John
    Last edited by tankpondman; 07-16-2019 at 09:44 AM.

I've owned a Smith & Wesson 6946 for years and find it to be a pleasure to shoot and carry. At 26.5 oz, the 6946 is hardly a boat anchor, but I do prefer to carry it in an OWB avenger style holster by Hughes rather than an IWB holster.

I like the Gen3 DAO pistols for EDC and own many 9mm and .40 S&W models. I favor my single stack models because they fit my hand better and I believe grip is of utmost importance in a CCW. I find the trigger to be smooth and much nicer than the first shot from my TDA (DA/SA) models because the DAO triggers are pre-cocked.

Many guys who shot revolvers for years, me included, find the DAO models to their liking more than gents that started with Gs or other striker-fired handguns.

I've never had a problem with parts for any of the 20 Gen3s I own, but I'm sure I day I'll have to come to the SW guys on their forum for help.

Make sure the gun fits your hand before you invest hard-earned money in it.

I just picked up a barely used one for $300 worth of AR parts I was not using. I wanted something with a positive safety that I could use as a hiking gun when I go hiking in some places that could be crazy with gun laws. I love my Glock 23 but I have ran into some rangers who basically did not know their own rules.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I have a LE 6946 (no mag safety) that I bought at a GS moving sale. It's my "automatic revolver" as, to my mind, the only difference between shooting it and a DAO revolver is reloading it. When I moved, I spent quite a bit in buying 10-round mags for it.

If I found a good deal on a 3953, I'd grab it up.
    That gives me a sad. I sold a nice 3953 last month. Would have given you a good deal.

User Tag List