View Poll Results: What is your preferred way to carry?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • IWB/AIWB

77 74.04%
  • OWB

24 23.08%
  • Other

3 2.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OWB or IWB/AIWB for EDC?

As a civilian and former California resident I had to carry IWB to minimize printing in snowflake territory. I was fine with doing so and took defensive pistol classes using my every day rig. After my move to Idaho I've switched to OWB, but it's very close to body and conceals almost as well as IWB, but hereabouts, given ID allows open carry, folks just don't care. I do prefer the gun at 3:00 which works fine OWB, but my body shape demanded the IWB holster be at 4:30.

Ok, my original poll question was simply to determine which was more popular for EDC, OWB concealed or IWB. Although the thread is still young, 17 of 20 voters said IWB.
    *OWB (open carry) is not part of this, unless you’re LE

So, my question now is...for those in the majority, and some did answer this, but not all...if you carry IWB, do you use that same holster for a course, from concealment? If not, why?
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 07-15-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Ok, my original poll question was simply to determine which was more popular for EDC, OWB concealed or IWB. Although the thread is still young, 17 of 20 voters said IWB.

So, my question now is...for those in the majority, and some did answer this, but not all...if you carry IWB, do you use that same holster for a course, from concealment? If not, why?
    i use my AIWB holster for classes as well as competition both working from concealment. if im going to use my gun its going to be from the holster/ carry method i use for everything else. there is great joy for me going to a match and going well with my edc gear from concealment.

It depends on the class or what I'm trying get out of the class.

Marksmanship training: Gamer gear.
    "Tactical" training: Carry gear.

This year I'm focused on the former.
    Last edited by David S.; 07-15-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    David S.

Part of the reason why you see OWB on those videos is that there is enough trainers that allow only OWB in their classes.
    If I take a competition class, I shoot it out of competition gear. If it is a defensive class, AIWB.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Off duty or plain clothes, AIWB for concealment, ease/speed of access, and retention. On duty (suit or polo/khakis) OWB, very occasionally IWB strong side.

I have taken classes AIWB, notably Mike Pannone’s Covert Carry (x2) but many instructors do not permit AIWB in class so it is not really an option. Those I will do OWB. On my own time I usually split my practice 60/40 AIWB to OWB. For me the mechanics of AIWB presentation require more practice so I weight it that way, though realistically I know I am more likely to have to draw from OWB in a work situation than off duty.
    Last edited by PD Sgt.; 07-16-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    Polite Professional

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Yes, because if given the option to carry however I wanted in class, I’d still go AIWB. Not for “train like you carry” reasons. That’s how I train and carry, I like it best for both.

But I’ll open carry on private property if I’m doing other stuff (not shooting).

AIWB all the way. I’ve played with going back to strong-side IWB but when I bend, squat or reach a certain way it tends to print more.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

IWB @ 3:30 with a variety of Milt Sparks and JMCK holsters.

Always the same rig, unless the class/instructor disallows AIWB, in which case I will dust off the OWB holster... I have rarely had that be an issue, though.
    "A man's character is his fate."

User Tag List