Thread: The history of the pie chart

The history of the pie chart

Could you tell me what you know about the pie chart target that would help me more eloquently explain why it's not very helpful?

My understanding is that it was originally for 25 yard bullseye one handed revolver shooting.

I've seen the John McPhee video on YouTube, but I'd also like to know when this target first appeared.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 07-13-2019 at 03:46 PM.

This is the only one that matters Name:  trigger-press-shooting-actually-works-funnies.jpg
Views: 3388
Size:  37.9 KB
    Last edited by AKDoug; 07-13-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Could you tell me what you know about the pie chart target that would help me more eloquently explain why it's not very helpful?

My understanding is that it was originally for 25 yard bullseye one handed revolver shooting.

I've seen the John McPhee video on YouTube, but I'd also like to know when this target first appeared.
    With one hand, it is probably helpful. With one hand, every variation in grip pressure throughout the aiming and trigger press process has a direct and measurable effect on the impact point of the bullet, and the diagram shows what different impact points mean as to what the shooter did when firing the shot.

With two hands, hopefully, we reduce the shifting effect by adding the grip of the second hand to balance the pressure desires of the dominant hand. Because of the second hand, the diagram means less: two opposing sources of pressure and influence on the grip reduce the “ease” of assessment by impact point.

My biggest gripe with this style target is that it assumes a given mistake produces a specific result, and nothing else does.

When shooting with two hands, multiple errors can cause a shot to go slightly left. Someone better at diagnosing error could tell you a few of the things that might cause that. The thing these targets assume is that only one or two things could be causing what you're seeing on the target. I think that's rarely the case.

Even if shooting 1 handed, these assume that the shooter is already being consistent with what's going on. These tend to be marketed toward newer shooters, who are more likely to have issues getting a 5 shot group near each other. If you're not shooting consistently, the chart is of no help. If you are shooting consistently then you're probably experienced enough to have an idea of what you're doing wrong, and don't need the chart.

At the end of the day, sight picture and trigger press decide. If my grip is good enough, all my short comings in trigger pull don't matter. As long as the sights are aligned when the trigger gets to the breaking point it will go where I want. I think that's why a lot of the time the correct answer is grip it hard, point it, and run the trigger without moving the sights. Hard to understand vague statements like "Milking the trigger, riding the reset, too much support pressure, more/less finger, support thumb placement" don't help. Another downfall of diagnostic targets.

-Cory

User Tag List