Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Simple, classic pocket folder

In 1984 some friends introduced me to the SAK supertinker. My previous impression of SAKs was bloated monstrosities filled with useless junk. The supertinker wasnt that, its easily pocket carried, had only useful tools, meaning things I actually use, (Ive never wished I had a corkscrew, YMMV), and everything worked. I bought one and dont think ive been a day without it in my pocket since then. When doing carpentry anf cain building, I used it pretty much every day for something. I dont think Ive used anything besides the scissors in the SAK to cut my fingernails since then. ive even cut my hair with it.

About 10 years ago walmart had them for pretty cheap ($25?), i bought a spare, since my scales were cracked and kept falling off now and then. The newer one isnt as good as the older one, particularly the scissors, but is still a very good tool.

A friend was helping do stuff at dads. Food time. She asks where the can opener is, I pulled out my SAK, she looked at me, "No, can opener..." "Uh, i dont know, this is all I ever use"
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-12-2019 at 10:55 PM.

My grandfather has sworn by Buck 301s for decades. I have a nice GEC Northfield # 48 and a Buck 301 as well but the vast majority of the time I carry only a Victorinox Alox Cadet.

ETA: if you are interested in the GEC knives, mine is very nicely made and while easily opened and closed, has STRONG springs and a healthy return. The knife also features half-stops--if that is the correct term. The carbon steel takes a very nice edge.
    Last edited by eclecticmoose; 08-13-2019 at 07:13 PM.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/great...y/?sort=newest

Another vote for GEC. They make fantastic pocket knives the half stop is a nice feature to have.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

My grandfathers Old Timer.

I don't know how old it is, but I can recall him having it when I was a kid, so it has been around a while now for sure, and if it does not get lost, it will get passed down to one of his great grand kids. He has been gone since the early 90s.

I carry it pretty regularly and it has cleaned a good number of trout from the streams and high mountain lakes in Idaho.

This was my grandfather's father's knife, along with his Hamilton Railroad Model watch, and Colt .38 Auto.

The brass match case was my grandfather's.

Swiss Army Knife, 1980s vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    In 1984 some friends introduced me to the SAK supertinker. My previous impression of SAKs was bloated monstrosities filled with useless junk. The supertinker wasnt that, its easily pocket carried, had only useful tools, meaning things I actually use, (Ive never wished I had a corkscrew, YMMV), and everything worked. I bought one and dont think ive been a day without it in my pocket since then. When doing carpentry anf cain building, I used it pretty much every day for something. I dont think Ive used anything besides the scissors in the SAK to cut my fingernails since then. ive even cut my hair with it.

About 10 years ago walmart had them for pretty cheap ($25?), i bought a spare, since my scales were cracked and kept falling off now and then. The newer one isnt as good as the older one, particularly the scissors, but is still a very good tool.

A friend was helping do stuff at dads. Food time. She asks where the can opener is, I pulled out my SAK, she looked at me, "No, can opener..." "Uh, i dont know, this is all I ever use"
    I've been carrying a Silver Alox Soldier since '06. It's proven to be the most "useful" pocket knife I've ever owned.

I've carried a pocket knife since I was a kid. Mostly a Case, Boker, Queen, etc. This was back when a typical Case 3-blade at the local hardware store cost about $4.50. When I started graduate school, I went to a Victorinox Tinker 'cause working around water necessitated stainless. So, some 45+ years later, I have that same Tinker in my pocket. Scales are worn to the point emblem has fallen off, but otherwise it's holding up pretty well. Not the toughest steel ever, but it is rust-resistant. Also carry a single lock blade in hip pocket (usually a Strider PT), but it's only been there about a decade or so.

Here's an old Camillus that belonged to my maternal Grandfather. He died in 1976, five years before I was born. This knife, and his Springfield 1903, are all I have from him.

User Tag List