Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing gasoline

Storing gasoline

What are the best and safest ways to store gasoline on my property? Regular suburban house with a yard and a garage. Not thinking a giant tank; more like keeping a few gallons on hand for a car or generator if the power goes out for a bit.

I keep mine in a back yard shed. 12 five gallon cans on a monthly rotation. I prefer the VP Racing cans to pretty much anything else in current production.
    David S.

Steel safety cans.

I have a five gallon type 1 and a five gallon type 2 with ethanol free gas with Stabil added.

I also have a type 2 one gallon in green for mixed 2 cycle gas. Expensive... but for me, there’s no substitute.

Regards.

Add me to the list of VP Race Can fans. Good equipment.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Awesome.
    This is not the Chinese crap sold by other vendors
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Don’t forget to add STABIL or a fuel stabilizer of some sort, you can store for a year or so that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Don’t forget to add STABIL or a fuel stabilizer of some sort, you can store for a year or so that way.
    FWIW, Ive stored gas for 2 years or more without sta-bil, but think its a good idea. It was ethanol free gas. Ive also used up older gas that started to smell funky by mixing it with good fresh gas. It seemed to work fine.

I think things like chain saws with oil mixed in the gas survive better because of the oil. I dont think they gum up the carb as bad when the gas evaporates. Ive left my Stihl chainsaw sit for a couple years, it took more pulls to start, but ran fine after it did start. I bought it in the mid 90s, its never had the carb apart.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-15-2019 at 09:18 PM.

5 gallon cans, they get rotated out en mass every 6 months or so, at least whatever doesn't get used in the mower.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I would get some sort of outdoor storage box or locker, with drainage that will carry gas away from structures.

Fire hazards aside, gas cans are designed to vent. Those vented chemicals are carcinogens, can permeate throughout your home and trace exposure is bad for your health.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List