Thread: Two Gun Match Rifles

Two Gun Match Rifles

A club that's fairly close to me has started hosting a two gun match every month. If you were going to set up a rifle specifically for this kind of match what would you put together? Length, caliber, optic, etc. Pistol? PCC? PCC kind of rules the roost down there right now. Rifle ranges rarely exceed 100 yards. There are two divisions, open and production. An optic on your rifle bumps you into open. The only other rule is the rifle and handgun must be centerfire.

All of my non-bolt action experience is with M16's and M4's. I'm kind of interested in doing something different without investing a ton of money in the setup.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

If you’re a fan of InRangeTV, they shoot a lot of 2 Gun with a wide variety of guns and have a preference for 14.5” lightweight ARs. Not particularly unique or quirky, but effective.

In terms of PCC, I admire the CMMG Guard.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Given those constraints I'd be inclined to run irons for funsies. Maybe build a light retro-ish rifle with a pencil barrel.

If steel jacket ammo is allowed I'd stick with 223 since you can buy Barnaul/Wolf/Brown Bear ammo for so cheap.

If that's too familiar perhaps go commie with an AK or VZ58?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Given those constraints I'd be inclined to run irons for funsies. Maybe build a light retro-ish rifle with a pencil barrel.

If steel jacket ammo is allowed I'd stick with 223 since you can buy Barnaul/Wolf/Brown Bear ammo for so cheap.

If that's too familiar perhaps go commie with an AK or VZ58?
    I ran my Smith MOE at a couple matches last year with irons. The pistol stages aren't really difficult enough to get a big advantage if you're running an optic. Irons with a rifle is really a disadvantage though.

I don't really know what I'm looking for honestly. I'm probably just trying to justify buying something new when what I have would probably work just fine.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

There are tricks to running carbine irons at close range, and learning those and how to employ them can be a lot of fun. I spent a year shooting irons-only on an AR in classes and matches, and learned a lot. Try shooting a "cqb" stage point-shooting only and see how you do. I bet you'll be surprised. You can also index the front sight only and get good hits on unobstructed USPSA targets out to 10 yards and more.

My recommendation is always "what's the lowest barrier to entry or quickest/cheapest way to get into the game". If that's a MOE that you already own and already have gear for, then to me that's the answer. Buy/tinker as required to either improve the experience (such as a gapper or a grip that is more comfortable for you to use) or to improve your standings.

User Tag List