Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Barefoot/minimalist shoes

Site Supporter
    I've been ruminating on this for a few weeks and decided to get in cheap with a $40 pair from AMAZON, well reviewed. After 2 weeks of use at the gym and running errands, initial thoughts are;

-- I was expecting the experience to be more like flip-flops, but definitely not. Rather than working the toes to keep flip flops on, the minimalist shoe does exactly the opposite, encouraging you to spread your toes fully. Much more natural feeling than flip flops.

-- Pace... I took the advice from folks here and am easing into these. Short walks, errands, gym. No negative feedback/pain/discomfort at all so far. I was very conscious of my heel-toe gait the first few times out. Now that I seem to be more frequently moving on a mid-foot-strike gait, I also feel like I've slowed down a bit. More relaxed, less inclined to push forward.

-- I don't run, unless I'm being chased . I'm not planning to test these running, but, look forward to taking them out hiking when I can catch a cool morning.

-- Not enough time in them to comment about their effect, if any, on my back pains. No worse so far. Not enough time to tell yet.

So far, so good.

Thanks for all the good info here.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've been ruminating on this for a few weeks and decided to get in cheap with a $40 pair from AMAZON, well reviewed. After 2 weeks of use at the gym and running errands, initial thoughts are;

-- I was expecting the experience to be more like flip-flops, but definitely not. Rather than working the toes to keep flip flops on, the minimalist shoe does exactly the opposite, encouraging you to spread your toes fully. Much more natural feeling than flip flops.

-- Pace... I took the advice from folks here and am easing into these. Short walks, errands, gym. No negative feedback/pain/discomfort at all so far. I was very conscious of my heel-toe gait the first few times out. Now that I seem to be more frequently moving on a mid-foot-strike gait, I also feel like I've slowed down a bit. More relaxed, less inclined to push forward.

-- I don't run, unless I'm being chased . I'm not planning to test these running, but, look forward to taking them out hiking when I can catch a cool morning.

-- Not enough time in them to comment about their effect, if any, on my back pains. No worse so far. Not enough time to tell yet.

So far, so good.

Thanks for all the good info here.
    Are you wearing them with socks? If not, how do you keep them from smelling (I tend to have smelly feet)?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Are you wearing them with socks? If not, how do you keep them from smelling (I tend to have smelly feet)?
    I've learned from experience that socks are the only way for me.
    I found some great Adidas brand ankle socks that are only slightly annoying.

I had some Columbia fishing shoes that had an insole that was removable and washable.... I'd wash the insoles with laundry soap or dish soap every week or two.... Got annoying after a while.

The only shoe I've ever been able to wear without socks and not stink up are Crocs. THESE have been great for errands and the office. Nobody knows they're Crocs. No socks + no stink. I'd love to find a closed cell foam version of a minimalist trail shoe. Maybe need to look for a minimalist closed cell insole.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've learned from experience that socks are the only way for me.
    I found some great Adidas brand ankle socks that are only slightly annoying.

I had some Columbia fishing shoes that had an insole that was removable and washable.... I'd wash the insoles with laundry soap or dish soap every week or two.... Got annoying after a while.

The only shoe I've ever been able to wear without socks and not stink up are Crocs. THESE have been great for errands and the office. Nobody knows they're Crocs. No socks + no stink. I'd love to find a closed cell foam version of a minimalist trail shoe. Maybe need to look for a minimalist closed cell insole.
    WRT those Saguaro's at Amazon: it appears that selecting a different "color" also sometimes gets you a different style/model. Any style/model in particular that you like?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I go sockless in Vapor Gloves. Hose them down occasionally and let dry in the sun. Alternative is to stick them in a bag and freeze them.

Holy necro-post revival! Four days short of ten years, between posts #110 and #111!

Well, anyway, I have been using minimalist, barefoot, and zero-drop shoes since some time last years, and, quite notably, a knee problem that had bothered me, for decades, went away, and my lower back feels better, too. The shoes that are really working well, in my case, are Merrell Trail Glove shoes, and New Balance Minimalist shoes, which I do wear with Smartwool socks. Smartwool is made from a blend of Merino wool, and I have been using them for decades, including when I would be in my duty boots, for what sometimes worked-out to be 36+ hours, without removing the boots.

I also have some Xero sandals, which do not stay on my feet very well, so, are really just for short periods, such as the first, early-morning dog walk. I have seen some you-tube tutorials, about reconfiguring the lacing. Some people run marathons in Xero sandals, so, presumably, it is possible to make them work, even when running.

Notably, it takes time to re-condition one’s feet, to do without the support and padding of most of today’s athletic shoes. Ideally, the user of such shoes should re-learn how to run, with a gait that results in less impact. (I have yet to try to resume serious running, as I considered myself to have aged-out of running about two decades ago, but I did a short, gentle run last week, off-pavement, and did not seem to have caused any notable damage.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    WRT those Saguaro's at Amazon: it appears that selecting a different "color" also sometimes gets you a different style/model. Any style/model in particular that you like?
    I have the Hunter Green version that was in that link... I was a little worried about the attached tongue, having experienced issues with similar designs bunching up and hurting the top of my foot. No such issue with these. I also am not normally a fan of speed laces but these are also good here. They're holding tension well and they have a simple hook/loop square to keep the end from flopping around. I wore them in the house for a few hours to make sure I was ok with these 2 possible issues.

I tried on some Merrill and Altra at REI before buying these from Amazon.... Both REI shoes had a bit more rugged/secure feeling that I expect would be better for running, but the Saguaro are plenty solid for me at the gym and walking. I expect if I find I like the minimalist form factor, I'd look to upgrade eventually to some Vivos or Xero or similar. I did prefer the Altra to the Merrill at REI... just fit me better. They are zero drop, but, beefier sole and insole than what I would call minimalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Holy necro-post revival! Four days short of ten years, between posts #110 and #111!

Well, anyway, I have been using minimalist, barefoot, and zero-drop shoes since some time last years, and, quite notably, a knee problem that had bothered me, for decades, went away, and my lower back feels better, too. The shoes that are really working well, in my case, are Merrell Trail Glove shoes, and New Balance Minimalist shoes, which I do wear with Smartwool socks. Smartwool is made from a blend of Merino wool, and I have been using them for decades, including when I would be in my duty boots, for what sometimes worked-out to be 36+ hours, without removing the boots.

I also have some Xero sandals, which do not stay on my feet very well, so, are really just for short periods, such as the first, early-morning dog walk. I have seen some you-tube tutorials, about reconfiguring the lacing. Some people run marathons in Xero sandals, so, presumably, it is possible to make them work, even when running.

Notably, it takes time to re-condition one’s feet, to do without the support and padding of most of today’s athletic shoes. Ideally, the user of such shoes should re-learn how to run, with a gait that results in less impact. (I have yet to try to resume serious running, as I considered myself to have aged-out of running about two decades ago, but I did a short, gentle run last week, off-pavement, and did not seem to have caused any notable damage.
    The Xero Z trail is much better than their OG sandals. I highly recommend. I wear them all the time in warm weather.

I have a pair of their DIY sandals and they are OK, but not ideal. Takes a lot of trial and error to get the lacing right and then they still dont handle lateral loads. Fine for easy runs on smooth paths, but no good for rapid changes in direction or fast sprints.

Both are ultra packable though which is great for camping.

Site Supporter
    I’ve been wearing Xero Shoes sandals far a bit over a year and love them. Will get more when the time comes.

I'm wearing Bedrock Cairns mostly, or Lem's Primal when I want a shoe, and I'll never go back.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List