Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Barefoot/minimalist shoes

Barefoot/minimalist shoes

I know next to nothing about this subset of shoe, but I'm real curious.

Conversation elsewhere leads me to believe there are at least a few members that can school me on this subject, and I'm interested to learn.

Benefits of barefoot shoes for regular day to day wear?

Drawbacks of barefoot shoes for day to day wear?

A good starting out pair?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JDM; 04-04-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

BOM,

I've been rockin' minimalist shoes for about 2 years now. I wear minimalist dress shoes at work, and minimalist casual shoes at all other times. I run, jumprope, hike, climb, etc. in minimalist shoes and feel I have at least enough experience to answer without sounding like a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Benefits of barefoot shoes for regular day to day wear?
    The biggest benefit for me was the total elimination of lower back pain. If I go back to shoes with heels, the back pain comes back. For most people transitioning to minimalist footwear, who have a long-term goal of running in minimalist shoes, I recommend daily wear as a good starting point. Walk around in them, stand around in them, get used to the mid- or fore-foot strike. It's like the old adage, you have to walk before you can run. Literally.

Drawbacks of the barefoot shoes for day to day wear?
    Pain from stepping on rocks/acorns/etc. Smelly feet/shoes if you don't wear socks (and I don't think you should wear socks). Fewer options for "dressy" shoes if that's a requirement.

A good starting out pair?
    I'm a HUGE fan of Merrell. My road running shoes are either huaraches (Original Luna) or Merrell Road Glove. I also have a pair of Merrell Trail Glove that I use for hiking and trail running. I started off with Vibram FiveFingers but, after a year of wearing them, realized they aren't the best option since they force your toes into one position. They don't really let your foot move how it wants to, despite the marketing.

For work, I wear the Vivobarefoot Ra (http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/...k-leather.html).

If I had to recommend ONE pair for starting out, it would be the Merrell Trail Glove (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...un-Trail-Glove).

Regardless of what you choose, look for the thinnest sole (4-8mm) and ZERO heel drop (i.e. the difference in thickness of material under the heel and forefoot; you want there to be no difference).

Feel free to pepper more questions, I'm a big barefoot/minimalist advocate.

I am by no means an SME on this - however, this is the internet so I'll answer anyway

I have a pair of Nike Frees which are supposed to be minimalist - I got them on the reccomendation of a friend who runs a lot. I hate running and these make it more bearable as that I seem to have a much better footstrike and I don't feel the impact on my lower back like I used to.

I'll wear them around and they are very comfortable, but if I'm going to be on my feet a lot - especially on concrete floors, I'll wear either my work boots or maybe some old cross trainers. I find standing around in them for long periods of time to be a little uncomfortable because of the lack of support.

This is something of interest for me as well. Back in basic training I could run 11:30 2 miles no problem. Now about 40 pounds heavier than basic training I get shin splints like crazy when I run. I normally run between 5-10 miles a week, but sometimes when the splints are bad it's tough.

Are there any considerations for heavier folks. Me for example 5'11" 235#. Currently run in reebok zigs, but that's only because the asics and brooks that I normally like were discontinued, so I tried these. Overseas I had no issues running in them, now at home I get shin splints so bad it's hard to run at all.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

I couldn't run a mile without getting shin splints prior to transitioning to minimalist shoes.

I got fitted for about five different models of running shoes, everything from Asics to Mizuno to New Balance, without success. I'm not saying that my experiences can be universalized, but it's worth a shot.

The thing about minimalist or barefoot activities is that it strongly encourages you to use proper form if you listen to your body. I've seen plenty of people wearing FiveFingers and heel-striking. I think most people can start off walking in minimalist shoes and slowly transition to a jog/walk, then jog, then jog/run, then run, without risk of injury. But it takes time. You're re-training your body how to do something (which is ironic since toddlers know how to midfoot strike just fine...take a look at a 2-year-old running barefoot some time). It took me a good 6 months (at least) before I could run a mile in minimalist shoes. There's a benefit to this--if you're trying to lose weight, walking is a better place to start (in my experience).

I am a huge fan. Before I say anything more, take the time to transition to them.

My first pair were Vibram Five Finger KSO's, used them in the gym and some casual wear. Then bought the New Balance Minimus Trails when they came out. The NB's were bought because the KSO's were too think to run where I was running. They were not advertised for this though. The NB's have a 4mm heel-toe drop which I now notice but they are a good starting shoe anyway. They took care of the issues feeling too much under the VFF's. I have tried other VFF's with success on the rockier sides of roads. Most recently I bought a pair of Vivobarefoot Ra's for work and wear them all the time now. Amazing shoes.

Advantages:
    For me I had a lot of knee pain if I tried to run, not any more once I adopted a more ideal foot strike. If I wear normal shoes, especially ones with a stacked heel, my knees will hurt a lot.

Drawbacks:
    Since I have the right shoes for the right occasion I see very little, if any. They can be a little smelly and sometimes you find that you feel a small rock. Nothing to call home about, I took two carbine classes last summer wearing a pair of Minimus shoes, zero issues. Transition time might be one, but in the end it is quite worth it.

I have zero issues wearing them for 10-18 hours non-stop. Regular shoes and boots would become uncomfortable in the same time frames.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    BOM,

If I had to recommend ONE pair for starting out, it would be the Merrell Trail Glove (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...un-Trail-Glove).

Feel free to pepper more questions, I'm a big barefoot/minimalist advocate.
    Really like these. How are these for size, referencing something like reeboks or nike's or addidas?

My fiance has been getting on me about shedding some weight, agreeably I'd like to lose 25-30 in the near future. I lost a shit ton of weight overseas went from 255 down to 210, now I'm back up to 235. I'd like to get down to 215 or less by our wedding (sept 1st). I figure I owe it her (and myself) she has trimmed and toned up quite nicely and I need to get off my regular training that has stagnated and start being more aggressive.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

The Merrell's run a little big. I used to wear a 9.5/10 in most street shoes, and all of my Merrell's are 9.0.

If you order from Zappos, I'd recommend ordering your street shoe size, half size smaller, and half size bigger. Free shipping and free returns on the two pairs that don't fit.

Make sure your toes have enough room to wiggle and spread. I tie my shoes snug around the ankle and very loose in the midfoot and over the toes.

Also, I agree with Zappos for buying. I am totally in love with my Vivo's though, and Zappos has them. I normally buy 3 sizes and return 2 pair.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    The Merrell's run a little big. I used to wear a 9.5/10 in most street shoes, and all of my Merrell's are 9.0.

If you order from Zappos, I'd recommend ordering your street shoe size, half size smaller, and half size bigger. Free shipping and free returns on the two pairs that don't fit.

Make sure your toes have enough room to wiggle and spread. I tie my shoes snug around the ankle and very loose in the midfoot and over the toes.
    awesome, thanks for the info, hadn't thought about zappos. I'm a cowboy boot guy most of the time. Wear oakley lsa boots when shooting or training. My mother runs marathons and swears by minimalists shoes, so I figure they warrant a look.

Appreciate the info and quick answer.

OP sorry to hijack, just a great thread.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

User Tag List