Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPVO + Red Dot: Where does it go?

LPVO + Red Dot: Where does it go?

Background: Talking for GP patrol rifle, that could be pressed into various roles. I want the ability to run a gas mask, and prefer a higher mounted optic like a 1.93” or 2.04”. Current patrol rifle is an 11.5 BCM/Colt gun, with a Vortex 1-6 in a 1.93” height mount. I love it, but in weird positions, off angle movement, etc. you’ll occasionally get scope shadow.

I switch from a standard height mount to the 1.93” which helps with acquiring the sight while wearing a pro-mask, and I dig the higher head position.

So let’s make the assumption that I want a micro red dot on my gun as well to supplement the LPVO. Either as a backup, or as a primary depending on position/distance/wearing a gas mask/etc.

Actual question:
    What’s better: Mounting the red dot on top of the scope (probably a standard height scope mount) like with the Reptilla group mounts, or going with an offset on a 45?

If you’d asked me about piggybacking a red dot even 6 months ago I’d say you’re dumb, but now that I run a high mounted scope, the piggyback doesn’t seem any higher. According to Reptilla, their RMR mount on a standard height Geissele is only 1.94” high anyways.

Thanks for any input.

Personally I prefer piggy-back assuming the turrets on your scope aren't tall.

I've experimented with T1s and MRDSs mounted at 45 degrees and other angles, both on the receiver and on the scope body. I never found a solution that didn't stick too far off the gun or gave me the fov I wanted(too low and my left eye was blocked by my main optic/mount).

I don't find the piggyback mount slow. With a little practice it's very fast and allows a nice upright head position. Transitioning from primary to secondary sn't as fast as 45 offsets but I'm willing to make that trade for a slimmer solution that works for weak side shooting and lets me keep both eyes down range.

Yeah, the ambidextrous nature of the piggyback is a big positive.

What setup are you using?

I have an rmr mounted on top of a 1-6, the transition between the two is pretty natural. It is pretty tall but not cumbersome in anyway. I've toyed with the idea of a 45 mount but never actually tried it. Honestly I've thought about taking it off though just because the lpvo is pretty useful on 1x both eyes open if the illumination is on. The rmr used to be on a fixed 4x and was a little more useful in that set up.

I should probably add that my piggy-back MRDS is on a 2.5-10x optic, so I treat it as more of a primary under 50 yards rather than a backup.

Anyone played with a scope mounted 45° offset? Trying to figure out what the cheek/chin weld would be with one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Anyone played with a scope mounted 45° offset? Trying to figure out what the cheek/chin weld would be with one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trex arms is supposedly putting out a 45 degree offset mount that is gonna change a lot of stuff. Time will tell

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I experimented with a T1 in a Larue offset mount a few years ago. I would not say I had a lot of time on it, but I did make a few observations. First, indexing to the optic definitely took some practice and was not as natural as above the optic. It was however, faster than the offset irons I also tried on another rifle. Second, while I never actually snagged it on anything, I felt like it was one more thing to be aware of. Granted, I felt the same about the irons.

I ended up moving it to a normal position on another carbine and selling the mount. For a non work rifle I did not see the justification for keeping that expensive of an optic solely in a BUS role.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Trex arms is supposedly putting out a 45 degree offset mount that is gonna change a lot of stuff. Time will tell
    Yeah I’ve seen that.... All the info on it seems vague and mystical. We’ll see though.

Site Supporter
    With both a current model Avon and MSA, rolling inboard with the 45 degree mount is a no go for me. YMMV. If I were doing it I would need to go top mount. Have you considered a DBAL or similar laser aiming device for those times when obligated to don the face hugger?
    Last edited by Jason M; 07-22-2019 at 10:41 AM.

User Tag List