Thread: RFI - automobile aftermarket rear camera

Site Supporter

RFI - automobile aftermarket rear camera

I have an older 4 door sedan that does not have a rear view camera. Looking for feedback or insights on adding a rear view camera. Will be keeping this older (2007) sedan for a while and would like to add the safety of rear view. Open to any options but prefer 1) cheaper, 2) wireless, 3) DIY. Will consider wired and going to professional install for a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have an older 4 door sedan that does not have a rear view camera. Looking for feedback or insights on adding a rear view camera. Will be keeping this older (2007) sedan for a while and would like to add the safety of rear view. Open to any options but prefer 1) cheaper, 2) wireless, 3) DIY. Will consider wired and going to professional install for a better solution.
    Great topic and I'll be watching. My work car has me spoiled with its rear camera. Need one for the Tacoma 4-door long-bed.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I bought one of these last year for a car that lacked a camera:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd say it was better than nothing. The base / transmitter cracked in a couple places; I don't think it leaked into the unit but it's not exactly well built.

The image syncs more or less all the time. The transmitted image is fairly low data rate; the screen might refresh perhaps 4 to 8 Hz, which isn't really real time. The screen is fairly small and low res, at least compared to more modern backup cameras.

I'm not sure I'd buy it again. I think I paid $199 at the time (March 18, perhaps).
    Last edited by RJ; 07-14-2019 at 04:53 PM.

There are several threads about this on tacomaworld, but I think they've all been wired units.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Garmin has an accessory that uses the Nuvi as the screen. I am planning for my F-150.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Go to Amazon, go to Prime Day, and check "upcoming deals."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Digi...y%2C407&sr=1-8

Ordered this one off Prime Day. Thanks Drang

User Tag List