Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a New Service, what do I need to know?

Looking at a New Service, what do I need to know?

LGS has a New Service on consignment. 5” or 5.5” barrel stamped New Service .45, lanyard loop, what little finish it has is a brown patina, well worn wood grips. I was in a hurry so no idea if there’s any matching numbers but I did notice a lack of sn on the back of the cylinder like a Smith has but I don’t know if a Colt should have one there or not.

There’s some endshake present that feels like it could be shimmed out as well as some cylinder play with the hammer down and also at full cock. I know Colts lock up differently than a Smith but I’m not sure how much play is normal and when it’s expected.

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If its got end shake and cylinder play walk away. Shimming isn't the answer on a Colt and you won't find anyone to fix it.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-14-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Colts should have no play in the cylinder at all with hammer down and trigger all the way to the rear. I'd pass unless super cheap and as a wall hanger only.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Colts should have no play in the cylinder at all with hammer down and trigger all the way to the rear. I'd pass unless super cheap and as a wall hanger only.
    That is the key phrase, the cylinder should be solid with the trigger pulled and held back so the hand is still against the ratchet.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    ^^^^^ What these guys said. I walked away from a nice-looking Trooper III because there was rotational play in the cylinder with the trigger held to the rear.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind when I go back in a day or two. I'm guessing you can't shim out a little end shake like with a S&W?

There were a couple of other things that caught my eye so if the NS doesn't get the nod it's no big deal.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Is it .45 ACP, .45 Colt or .455 British ?

There are still people who fix Colts but it's a whole other barrel of worms vs an S&W. It's about twice as expensive to fix the timing. I have a New Service I had rebuilt...about 2x what it cost to have an S&W rebuilt. It's hard to find a New Service that isn't pretty shot out and if you do it'll cost an arm and a leg. But they are neat guns.

.45 Colt as far as the shop and I know. The chambers are not stepped, no stamps I can see to indicate foreign usage. The only markings I could make out (left my loupe at home) were the "New Service .45" on the barrel and the Colt "VP in a triangle" stamp near the trigger guard.

The lack of sn on the back of the cylinder makes me wonder if it was shaved for using moon clipped .45 ACP. It's been a long time since I paid attention to Smiths done that way and my memory is failing me on the other tell tale signs of a convered revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by CTX44 View Post
    It's hard to find a New Service that isn't pretty shot out
    I was surprised to see this one still had reasonably well defined lands and grooves with a minimum of pitting.
    Last edited by awp_101; 07-14-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Sorry, I don't mean that the barrel is shot out, relatively hard to do that with lead bullets at pistol velocity. Just that timing is off. Check the timing and lockup on all 6 cylinders with the hammer cocked. Check the carryup in single and double action. That's the stuff that costs way more to fix than on an S&W and as mentioned above, it's harder to find gunsmiths these days who know how to work on Colt revolvers. Cylinder and Slide did mine.

I don't know if correcting the endshake is as simple as on a S&W.

Not trying to talk you out of buying the gun! I certainly like mine.

User Tag List