Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting from Retention

Great stuff. Video is very well done. Southnarc is a legend.

I like that the techniques are grounded 8n AIWB... I "grew up" strong- side, and learned shooting from retention from that, speed-rock stuff. Which I have adapted to AIWB.

I am going to incorporate what I'm seeing there, with my close quarters shooting. Done some ingraining exercises with this yesterday, gonna go run it live today.

Site Supporter
    I watched the video several times. It is an excellent video and Craig is in my short list of trainers. What he showed and what I tried to describe are almost identical. I was taught to put my off hand behind my head to protect the neck and to also strike with the elbow or use the elbow as a “pike” we didn’t have the “thumb chest index” term but we pulled back to the retention position and rotated the gun just enough to clear clothing, Kevlar vests and anatomy. I stress the anatomy because one time I didn’t rotate my 1911 far enough and the slide caught me in my nipple. It tore my shirt and bled not to mention stung a bit. The other techniques are how to draw your pistol while in a bear hug. (Drop your center/hips) , shooting an assailant choking you from behind (shoot them in the hip) weapon retention, wrestling for your gun, drawing in a crowd, etc. There are many techniques out there. I learned these techniques from greg Hamilton of insights trainings CQB course back in the late 90s

For some reason whenever unsighted fire talk begins the weirdos begin to come out of the woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I learned these techniques from Greg Hamilton of Insights Training CQB course back in the late 90s
    "Now, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time... A long time."

I, too, remember similar training from Greg on retention shooting from long ago (KRTraining, I'm looking at you) but I like Craig's explanation and further evolution of the technique.

Now I gotta get off my ass and start shooting this again at my local club.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Greg is still out there. The insights website is still active but judging from the schedule he is not traveling anymore and does not have much scheduled. Greg is a farmer now and raising pigs. I follow him on Instagram - Freyr farms. Now that I’m retired I wish that I had a small farm too.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Great stuff. Video is very well done. Southnarc is a legend.

I like that the techniques are grounded 8n AIWB... I "grew up" strong- side, and learned shooting from retention from that, speed-rock stuff. Which I have adapted to AIWB.

I am going to incorporate what I'm seeing there, with my close quarters shooting. Done some ingraining exercises with this yesterday, gonna go run it live today.
    Actually the techniques are more natural from a strong side holster. Craig explained in class that drawing to a #2 retention/pectoral index position is a natural part of a draw from a strong side holster. You can do it from AIWB but you’re adding extra movement that wouldn’t be there in a purely efficiency focused AIWB draw. AIWB has advantages in other areas that greatly outweigh the slight disadvantage of drawing to a #2 position and many of the people concerned with the fighting part of gun fighting have moved to AIWB carry.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Watching the video with the first "run away" reload I cringed, scaring the wife when I exclaimed "If one of my shooters had done that I would have lost my shit..." I have to assume that Southnarc straightened that out based on the remaining reloads.

Craig is a master trainer, and if he addressed it it was tactful, forgiving, and productive. One of my favorite people and instructors. I am intending to pay for my kids each to take Immediate Action JuJuitsu/Pugilisim with Cecil Birch and ECQC with SouthNarc...I have also unabashedly stolen techniques from each for my guys....

pat

Pretty good stuff no doubt, although I do have some concerns regarding the thinking that one individual or small group is the infallible authority or somehow the only reputable source on this issue. A heck of a lot of folks are very well versed and capable on the topic, most from a heavy martial art background rather than being gun centric. It's really nothing new, even if the presentation may be.

Site Supporter
    Yup. The problem is finding those that can teach...Teaching is very much not the same as doing. Some of those that can teach can do. Few of those that can do can teach. I don't believe that SouthNarc's program is the only one, but based on my experiece it is a really, really good one. The dude is a stud, and willing to share. I have no doubt, as an ECQC grad, that if I got into something that he taught me to do, that he would be here in court to help with my defense. Not worshiping at the SouthNarc shrine, but recognizing the value of his training.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Watching the video with the first "run away" reload I cringed, scaring the wife when I exclaimed "If one of my shooters had done that I would have lost my shit..." I have to assume that Southnarc straightened that out based on the remaining reloads.
    What is a runaway reload?

User Tag List