Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting from Retention

Shooting from Retention

Came across this video which I found very useful for my study on the subject;

Really good video.

I was super fortunate, VERY early in my shooting career, to get to experience/train with shooting from retention my 2nd real training class - CRG 2, with @Randy Harris, if I'm remembering correctly (was thinking the first one, crg1 but pretty certain it was 2). Randy teaches very similar with a couple of different options/techniques.

I latched onto it as quite valuable and effective for direct contact shooting. I had assumed that most folks who had been to a training class or two had probably been shown something like this. I didn't realize until a little later being around more shooters (that I've come across at least) that had never thought about it or had any training or reps doing anything close to this.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I didn't realize until a little later being around more shooters (that I've come across at least) that had never thought about it or had any training or reps doing anything close to this.
    The safety aspect is problematic for several reasons, which even makes it difficult to practice;

1. The rounds hit the dirt directly in front of the shooter. This rules out using indoor ranges (concrete floor) and even at an outdoor range, the target should be as close as possible to the berm to avoid a ricochet sailing over the backstop into the next zip code. Unless you have access to a private range, this may be impossible to set up.

2. IMO this should be done with a coach or training partner to spot your muzzle direction to avoid flagging your weak hand or body. I know I'd feel much more comfortable doing reps this way.

3. The average shooter thinks a defensive scenario will happen at 50 feet slow fire.

Since watching the video I've been practicing empty-gun drawing and pulling the pistol into the chest as instructed. I'm finding the most conscious effort is spent keeping the weak hand behind the muzzle, but it's becoming easier with practice. So far I've been watching every bit of movement, muzzle direction, etc. and have not yet reached a point I feel comfortable going full speed with 100% target focus.

I'll get there but I still haven't figured out how/where I can live fire this drill.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The safety aspect is problematic for several reasons, which even makes it difficult to practice;

1. The rounds hit the dirt directly in front of the shooter. This rules out using indoor ranges (concrete floor) and even at an outdoor range, the target should be as close as possible to the berm to avoid a ricochet sailing over the backstop into the next zip code. Unless you have access to a private range, this may be impossible to set up.

2. IMO this should be done with a coach or training partner to spot your muzzle direction to avoid flagging your weak hand or body. I know I'd feel much more comfortable doing reps this way.

3. The average shooter thinks a defensive scenario will happen at 50 feet slow fire.

Since watching the video I've been practicing empty-gun drawing and pulling the pistol into the chest as instructed. I'm finding the most conscious effort is spent keeping the weak hand behind the muzzle, but it's becoming easier with practice. So far I've been watching every bit of movement, muzzle direction, etc. and have not yet reached a point I feel comfortable going full speed with 100% target focus.

I'll get there but I still haven't figured out how/where I can live fire this drill.

True, very good points.

Not too sure about target needing to be so close to a berm - as it appears in the video, I'm pretty certain most outdoor ranges if it goes into dirt it's considered safe. I've shot a lot of matches where a low target just puts rounds into the ground and not so much the berm.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I don't see this as a safety issues as long as the soil types permit rounds hitting the ground to be safe. If it's gravely and rocky, I'd reconsider.

Shooting that close requires a bunch of unloaded dry fire practice to do so safely. In my RB1 class, contact (or close to contact) shooting was proceeded by a minimum of 25 revolutions of dry fire so Jason could make sure we were relatively competent to complete the drill. Then, when it was time to do the drill, we went one on one with the instructor and he kept a safety eye on us. The drill as illustrated in the video seems simple enough, but there's a whole bunch of things that can go wrong in an instant.

Don't be this guy

That hurt. Looks like a Serpa holster. :-0

That hurt. Looks like a Serpa holster. :-0
    Pretty sure it was a Serpa.

Craig used to get to Pelham NH every fall. Not sure if the tactical training program
    at NE Shooters is as strong as in past years but you should keep an eye on the schedule.

https://www.neshooters.com/index.html
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Basically point shooting at close (closer) range.

Inside of 3 yds requires nothing more than point shooting yet very few people practice that method of shooting.

Point shooting is effective beyond 3 yds if you practice.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-15-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    This technique works best when your are standing toe to toe with your target/attacker. For safety while practicing tuck your left hand either on your chest or behind your head before you draw. This is usually combined with an elbow strike to the target and a very aggressive forward stance. Muzzle discipline and trigger finger placement must be strictly enforced. Draw your handgun to the retention position. It’s also very important to rotate the pistol to the outside to prevent the slide striking your chest causing injury and or malfunctions. With revolvers beware of the flame from the cylinder gap. There are several close quarter techniques worth knowing but they require an entire class

User Tag List