Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911 history with Ken Hackathorn

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    In the video Ken makes a big deal about the collet bushing helping accuracy in the 1970's and
    not being used again on the 70's retro series. Does any one know if this would help modern
    pistol accuracy or if it is not needed because of improvements in barrel manufacturing. I found
    this point confusing.
    It worked. It was abandoned because the design proved to be fragile and broke often.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    It worked. It was abandoned because the design proved to be fragile and broke often.
    More accurately the collet bushing fingers could be damaged when one did not turn the bushing with the barrel out of battery.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    In the video Ken makes a big deal about the collet bushing helping accuracy in the 1970's and
    not being used again on the 70's retro series. Does any one know if this would help modern
    pistol accuracy or if it is not needed because of improvements in barrel manufacturing. I found
    this point confusing.
    The collet had flexible arms vs a solid fitted bushing. When assembled, there was no way the collet could be loose. A criticism at the time Colt used collet bushings was that the arms could break and lock up the pistol.

A bit more history: Colt used collet bushings in Series 80 pistols as well. I bought a Series 80 Gold Cup in the mid-80s that had a collet. It worked, but I fitted a solid bushing and never looked back.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

My understanding is that Colt's switching to at least some more modern manufacturing machinery and techniques (some of which Ken touched on) restored the inherent accuracy needed in their 1911s, eliminating the need for the collet bushing, whose fingers seemed predisposed towards fragility and breakage. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    More accurately the collet bushing fingers could be damaged when one did not turn the bushing with the barrel out of battery.
    This
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

This video inspired me to take old Christine out and run 200 rounds through her.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Ken Hackathorn is a national treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That was more or leas the standard practice though. You looked a gun up in Small Arms of the World and there was your disassembly procedure. No one ever told me not to turn the bushing with the pistol in battery, in fact my gunsmith gave me a plastic bushing wrench when I asked him to fit a solid bushing. As a very doctrinaire Cooperite at the time, I was convinced the collet bushing was crap based on the back page of Guns & Ammo. I’ve now progressed to collet bushing agnosticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Ken Hackathorn is a national treasure.
    Which is why I'm glad he's making videos. He's a walking encyclopedia and he's not limited to 1911s or ARs.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    My understanding is that Colt's switching to at least some more modern manufacturing machinery and techniques (some of which Ken touched on) restored the inherent accuracy needed in their 1911s, eliminating the need for the collet bushing, whose fingers seemed predisposed towards fragility and breakage. Best, Jon
    How well do the new Colts shoot at, say, 25 yards?

thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

If you're going to be at the Renton IDPA match this coming Saturday, we can bench my 2015 production Series 70 stainless Repro if after the match if you'd like. Bring factory .45ACP ammunition of your choice. Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-15-2019 at 08:56 AM.

User Tag List