Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911 history with Ken Hackathorn

Site Supporter

Colt 1911 history with Ken Hackathorn

Mr. Hackathorn provides a pretty decent history on Colt 1911 pistols in this video. The info will be old news to some folks here on the forum, but it's still pretty good stuff. He also discusses and shoots Colt's new 1911 Classic model which is a nice gun.

I agree with the point Ken makes about how Colt fails to adjust the extractors on their production guns toward the end of the video. Such an easy problem to fix, yet it goes unaddressed. Still a nice new traditional model from Colt though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv94MbQXDkc

Cool video. Love it when Ken drops the knowledge bombs.

Thanks for posting.

ETA: Link to the Classic... https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...t-45acp-5-blue

Embedded for those who prefer to watch here...

Last edited by StraitR; 07-13-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Great video-about the only thing I disagree with Ken about is when he disparages the Series 70 "Billboard" rollmarkings; they were originally on the Series 70 Repros as Ken describes (and Ken is right on target about them aesthetically in my opinion), but Colt later went to much more restrained and tasteful rollmarkings on the Series 70 Repros.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    To be fair...almost no maker of 1911s correctly tensions or profiles the extractor.

Pretty cool video though. Ken is definitely one of the dudes I listen to when they talk about 1911s

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Another point of contention here; small 1911 ejection port size probably doesn't do reliability any favors. Ken spent quite a while in the video outlining that anyone who thinks that is a fool, but in the age of slow-motion video we know the brass dent on older 1911s is from the case hitting the inside of the slide rather hard, then bouncing out of the port upwards.

Surely in practical terms eliminating a random bounce, and allowing the ejection to be more sideways and less vertical, is a net positive in terms of system reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Another point of contention here; small 1911 ejection port size probably doesn't do reliability any favors. Ken spent quite a while in the video outlining that anyone who thinks that is a fool, but in the age of slow-motion video we know the brass dent on older 1911s is from the case hitting the inside of the slide rather hard, then bouncing out of the port upwards.

Surely in practical terms eliminating a random bounce, and allowing the ejection to be more sideways and less vertical, is a net positive in terms of system reliability.
    The ejection port cut in the front portion of the port to the rearmost barrel locking lug also makes it possible to eject a loaded round out of the port. In a stock port, a loaded round usually cannot exit the port and rattles its way out the bottom of the frame. In this day of administrative unloading, the ejection port lower, flare, and extension are mandatory for a gun that is going to be carried. Not so much for a gun meant to recall the not-so-good-old-days.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The ejection port cut in the front portion of the port to the rearmost barrel locking lug also makes it possible to eject a loaded round out of the port. In a stock port, a loaded round usually cannot exit the port and rattles its way out the bottom of the frame. In this day of administrative unloading, the ejection port lower, flare, and extension are mandatory for a gun that is going to be carried. Not so much for a gun meant to recall the not-so-good-old-days.
    That stock port setup sounds like a way to tempt fate with an out of battery detonation.

Last edited by 45dotACP; 07-14-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That stock port setup sounds like a way to tempt fate with an out of battery detonation.

Extended ejectors striking the primer are more of a concern to me. A friend had this occur with a .40 SVI during a Limited 10 match about fourteen years ago. We have it somewhere on video. Good reminder to not try and catch the loaded round to be ejected.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Extended ejectors striking the primer are more of a concern to me. A friend had this occur with a .40 SVI during a Limited 10 match about fourteen years ago. We have it somewhere on video. Good reminder to not try and catch the loaded round to be ejected.
    Not sure what I'd be more embarrassed about...my gun almost blowing up, or telling people I shoot Limited 10 [emoji6]

(Runs/hides)

In the video Ken makes a big deal about the collet bushing helping accuracy in the 1970's and
    not being used again on the 70's retro series. Does any one know if this would help modern
    pistol accuracy or if it is not needed because of improvements in barrel manufacturing. I found
    this point confusing.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

User Tag List