Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clapp Ruger SP101!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    The Security-Six is a K-frame.

As heavy as the 101 is it should at least be a six shot. Look at the Kimber and the new Colt. They aren't K-frame size but get you a half a dozen chances to get out of trouble.

Dave
    Just for our reference, the SP101 measures 1.350" at the cylinder. The cylinder on my new model Cobra is 1.404". Granted the Colt is a .38 and I don't have one of the new 357 models to measure.

The Ruger weighs one pound 9 ounces. The Colt weighs one pound 11 ounces.

Triggers (DA) are 8.5 for the Colt and 12 for the Ruger.

So it sounds like what we might need is a Clapp Colt Cobra.

I have a blued WC GP100 and it has been one of my favorite guns ever. So much so that I sold it and pestered the person I sold it to for almost two years until they sold it back to me.

The WC SP101 sights are easier for me to see than the WC GP100. I have been keeping an eye out for a used WC SP101, but they have usually been priced at MSRP or higher if the hammer has been bobbed or any kind of work done on it. These are great revolvers, but a bobbed hammer, tritium front sight and blued steel would make it perfect IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have a 3" SP101 in 327 FM and prefer the balance and feel of the Clapp with its 2.25"
    Concur. I traded my 3" for a 2.25".
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    These are great revolvers, but a bobbed hammer, tritium front sight and blued steel would make it perfect IMO.
    I imagine the tritium front sight would be easy enough to add. I have not looked into it but I assume someone makes a sight to fit the Ruger dovetail.

The bobbed hammer shouldn't be too big a stretch either. If Ruger won't sell a factory bobbed it should be fairly easy to saw the spur off and clean things up so the work looks intentional.

The blued finish will take a bit more effort. Cerakote is one option but I'd probably have the external parts nitride treated. Otherwise, as mentioned, I think a matte bead blast finish should look good in stainless.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    These are great revolvers, but a bobbed hammer, tritium front sight and blued steel would make it perfect IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I imagine the tritium front sight would be easy enough to add. I have not looked into it but I assume someone makes a sight to fit the Ruger dovetail.

The bobbed hammer shouldn't be too big a stretch either. If Ruger won't sell a factory bobbed it should be fairly easy to saw the spur off and clean things up so the work looks intentional.

The blued finish will take a bit more effort. Cerakote is one option but I'd probably have the external parts nitride treated. Otherwise, as mentioned, I think a matte bead blast finish should look good in stainless.
    One could start with a blued gun:
    https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/15702.html

Tritium front sight:
    https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...1=Ruger__SP101

Numrich is out of stock on the spurless hammer, but it can be bobbed...my I bought my used 3" that way.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    One could start with a blued gun:
    https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/15702.html

Tritium front sight:
    https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...1=Ruger__SP101

Numrich is out of stock on the spurless hammer, but it can be bobbed...my I bought my used 3" that way.
    No way that I'm aware of to machine the factory top strap for a Novak.

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9510

And while Novak offers tritium, I doubt that a blued WC SP101 is on the horizon from Ruger.

Then again, the blued-steel model is only a recent thing, so time will tell.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 07-15-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

So now that I own a standard 3" stainless SP101 in .327 Federal and a 2.25" .357 Wiley Clapp I want to revisit the idea of having the Clapp converted into a 327.

I talked to JRH Advanced Gunsmithing this morning about such a project. He said it should be a fairly straightforward deal to swap barrels and cylinders between the two guns. He says he can actually take the 3" 327 barrel and cut and thread it from the back end and preserve the factory front sight slot and profile. Afterward I'll have him take the 2.25" Clapp barrel and 357 Mag cylinder and but these parts in the 19th Century SP101 frame. Might keep the gun afterwards or, more likely, sell it to help offset the costs.

Here over the next few days I should be able to write him a letter with what I'd like done with the two guns. Then I'll get them boxed up and shipped off. This should be a fun little project.

Site Supporter
    Well it would go with my WC 1911..... Must resist.... Must Resist..... So how many of these threads have cost us all money?
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Well it would go with my WC 1911..... Must resist.... Must Resist..... So how many of these threads have cost us all money?
    I didn't ask about price....

User Tag List