Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Innocuous looking carbine for a petite young lady to tote long distances?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811165381

Manufacturer: TAYLOR’S & COMPANY FIREARMS/CHIAPPA
    Model: ALASKAN TAKE DOWN
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    Mfg Item Num: 920.349
    Category: RIFLE
    Action :LEVER ACTION
    Caliber :.357 MAG
    Barrel Length :16"
    Trigger :---
    OAL :34”
    Weight :5.9 LBS
    Stock :BLACK
    Metal Finish :STAINLESS
    Muzzle :---
    Sights :RED FIBER OPTIC FRONT, SKINER REAR
    Other Features: The Alaskan combines tradition with modern technology creating one of the fastest handling 1892 Lever Action Rifles designed specifically for the hunting market. A take-down rifle chambered in caliber .44RM or .357 Mag, and featuring the time-proven 1892 action, the Alaskan delivers serious knock-down power when using Hornady Lever evolution ammunition which the action is specifically tuned for. The sights are Skinner Express style while the barrel is drilled and tapped for "Scout Mount" optics and Weaver 61 bases. The stock and forend are made of wood with overmolded rubber "soft touch" finish, the comfortable butt stock is made of anti-shock rubber. Distributed exclusively by Taylor's Tactical.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've handled a Chiappa Alaskan in .44M at an LGS, and it was as smooth as I wish Marlins were. Also cost what it would cost to make Marlins that smooth. I won't recommend a Marlin unless you're willing to take on a project to make it right.

I like the Tikka and Howa actions a lot for a bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    ...if you really want to stick with a semi-auto, maybe you could cut down the stock on an Ares SCR. I've never even seen an SCR in person, so this might be a terrible idea.
    This was actually my first thought. It basically adapts the recoil system of a Remington 1100 shotgun to an AR upper. Any AR upper will go on, just like with an AR lower. Only change you'll need will be mounting the optics lower due to the conventional butt stock design. They come with a black polymer stock, but take a Remington 1100/870 12ga buttstock, so in theory, anything that will go on one of those will work. You could do a matching Boyd's butt stock and AR handguard. Then you can have a .223/5.56 upper for plinking and practice and a 6.8 or 6.5G or 7.62x39 or .300 BO upper for knocking over Bambi.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post

CZ 527 youth in .223 or 7.62x39---Backwards safety, problems with the stock cracking, 16mm scope mounts, and magazines make me hesitate here.
    CZ offers a carbine with a synthetic stock, though it appears to be unlisted on their website.

https://grabagun.com/cz-527-7-62x39-...bine-18-5.html

They do exist; I bought one from grabagun a while back.

— Michael

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    This would be my choice, in 223, loaded with the 75 grain Gold Dot or Hornady ELD.
    This. The Tikka Compact in .223 has a 1:8 twist making it a good choice for 75 grain slugs. Every other bolt gun I've looked at in .223 is 1:9 or slower.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    My daughter has been shooting AR pattern rifles in .22 or 5.56 for almost as long as she can remember. That form factor is really friendly for small people due to it's compact size, light weight, and adjustable length of pull. She already has a nice BCM with ELW-F upper, but I think we could use something that's less scary to plant-eating tourists and hikers. Even an unloaded M&P 15-22 in muddy girl camo seems to elicit fear responses from people who more readily accept the presence of traditional looking "hunting" rifles.

I say you are looking at this whole thing backwards. If people are afraid of guns then changing the brand or style is not going to make friends for you. Instead there has to be a way to turn her existing BCM into a breakdown rifle. Currently our military is using this kit for M4 carbines.

http://cryhavoctac.com/qrb-kit.html

https://taskandpurpose.com/air-force...al-packs-rifle

Now get a knapsack in some bright colors and you are all set. She gets to shoot the rifle she wants and she can carry it to your hunting spot without any undue fuss. I live in NYC and if guns are involved the crowd will never be happy. I don't try and please them, I just try to be discrete with my weapons.

Name:  qrbapart.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  21.7 KB Name:  51EuFg3dMRL.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  33.5 KBName:  41MRiFXdiVL.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  28.0 KBName:  s-l640.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  44.8 KB
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Have you considered the Steyr Scout rifle? They're available in .223, .308 and 6.5 CM, and they are handy, lightweight and seem to fit the bill for your requirements....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think a compact bolt action in 7.62x39 is the ticket. It sounds like you have a preference for the Ruger American, so you should go for that.

7.62x39 has a good offering of loads these days.
    Concur.

If you already stock .223 and 7.62x39 it makes sense to go Ruger American in one of the two. For your stated end use I think 7.62x39 is the better choice.

And, if it's ever an option for you, the Ruger American with a Dead Air Nomad is a nice set up.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

I would also start thinking about optics.

No point in buying a short, lightweight carbine if you're going to slap any random optic on it instead of a dedicated lightweight one. I think a lot of people get fixated on pure performance of the scope instead of what is realistically needed, and end up with something too heavy. If it were me, I'd go with low-to-mid power and an objective lens smaller than 36mm. Something like these would do nicely:

Leopold 2.5-8x36 VX-3i

Leopold 2-7x33 VXR

Swarovski 3-9x36 Z3

Or, if you really want to prioritize lightweight yet durable, Trijicon makes a 7.62x39 3x ACOG. I'd stay away from the tactical rifle oriented low power variables. 1) They're heavier than the above options, twice the weight or more if you get the 1-8x ones 2) Unless she's doing room clearing, she doesn't need a 1x scope.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-14-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 looks really good. It takes Mini-30 mags.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  12.2 KB

Also, what about a Mini-30? Not too tactical...

Name:  5804.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  23.8 KB
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-14-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 looks really good. It takes Mini-30 mags.
    @Clusterfrack just changed my mind. I would go with the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 (or in .223) over the Predator.

Good call. And it still comes with a threaded barrel. Nice.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 07-14-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

User Tag List