Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Innocuous looking carbine for a petite young lady to tote long distances?

Innocuous looking carbine for a petite young lady to tote long distances?

Wow, 5.8oz including mount for the ACOG 3x. That’s awesome. The whole rifle could come in well under 7 lbs loaded, with a sling.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I would also start thinking about optics.

No point in buying a short, lightweight carbine if you're going to slap any random optic on it instead of a dedicated lightweight one.
    Or, if you really want to prioritize lightweight yet durable, Trijicon makes a 7.62x39 3x ACOG. I'd stay away from the tactical rifle oriented low power variables. 1) They're heavier than the above options, twice the weight or more if you get the 1-8x ones 2) Unless she's doing room clearing, she doesn't need a 1x scope.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-14-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 looks really good. It takes Mini-30 mags.
    Attachment 40146
    Just a couple hours ago I shot my new RA-Ranch in 300BO and am pretty glad I bought it, seem s pretty cool for what it costs. So far I have a the SIG Romeo 5 knockoff on it and that might be a nice combination (low enough on the provided rail).

The Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 looks really good. It takes Mini-30 mags.

Attachment 40146
    I've been leaning hard toward the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 for a while now. If it came with a compact stock, I would have surely purchased one a long time ago. As it is, I'd have to chop a good inch off the stock. A heavier stock totally defeats the purpose of this rifle, to me at least. There is a video on YouTube where someone cuts an American stock up and refits a different buttpad. It looks like chopping off 1" would be pretty easy with this stock, but the butpad would probably hang off the bottom of the stock a tiny bit afterward. Not a big deal to me. I could always reinforce it by epoxying a piece of 3/4" plywood shaped on a disk sander and then riddled with lightening holes if I had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I would also start thinking about optics.

No point in buying a short, lightweight carbine if you're going to slap any random optic on it instead of a dedicated lightweight one. I think a lot of people get fixated on pure performance of the scope instead of what is realistically needed, and end up with something too heavy. If it were me, I'd go with low-to-mid power and an objective lens smaller than 36mm. Something like these would do nicely:

Or, if you really want to prioritize lightweight yet durable, Trijicon makes a 7.62x39 3x ACOG. I'd stay away from the tactical rifle oriented low power variables. 1) They're heavier than the above options, twice the weight or more if you get the 1-8x ones 2) Unless she's doing room clearing, she doesn't need a 1x scope.
    Wow, 5.8oz including mount for the ACOG 3x. That’s awesome. The whole rifle could come in well under 7 lbs loaded, with a sling.
    I don't think I'm ready to drop ACOG money for this rifle quite yet, but that would surely be a sweet setup! I've got a Primary Ams advanced micro dot and a Holosun microdot with ACSS reticle that have both impressed the hell out of me. They are surely made in the same facility. I'd probably start by getting a low QD mount for one of those (probably the Holosun ACSS), and also a QD mount or rings for the SWFA 1-4 with Milquad DM reticle that I already have. They could be swapped back and forth depending on application. I'd be looking to buy a dedicated, lightweight, magnified optic at a later time, after we have some experience using the rifle afield with the other two configurations.

I could totally see this rifle fitted with the front sight from the Ruger PC carbine https://2rdrtx4bt29lo91s31mjhkji-wpe...ense-9mm-4.jpg

and a rear like this one from XS sights. https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/...4aAt5KEALw_wcB Although I don't know if that exact pair would line up correctly. Something like this ought to happen.

Sorry that I don't know how to upload the images correctly.

The Howa barreled actions just seem too long to me, especially in 7.62x39. Curious if anybody knows exactly what a lightweight, compact rifle built on the Howa action would weigh in at? If so, what stock would you be using?

Tikka makes damn nice rifles, but they seem a little long and heavy for this application, no? They have the worst website possible. I can't find a lightweight, compact .223 offered in their current lineup.

Marlin youth rifles look cool as hell, too! I got to hold a larger Marlin today in Walmart, and the sights were pretty awesome if you ask me!!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    The Howa barreled actions just seem too long to me, especially in 7.62x39. Curious if anybody knows exactly what a lightweight, compact rifle built on the Howa action would weigh in at? If so, what stock would you be using?
    There is a light-profile, 20-inch version. Can always cut and crown it. May not be suppressor-friendly due to the OD, though. There are a bunch of guys over on 24HourCampfire.com who lightened the factory poly stocks and were very happy with the results. Boyd's would probably end up heavier.

Tikka makes damn nice rifles, but they seem a little long and heavy for this application, no? They have the worst website possible. I can't find a lightweight, compact .223 offered in their current lineup.
    You're right, the latest version of the site sux. You can also download the catalog: https://www.tikka.fi/sites/default/f...logue_2019.pdf

They are actually reasonably lightweight for what they are. Is this what you're looking for? https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/ti...x-lite-compact and https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/code/JRTXE312C

6.4 lb isn't ultralight, but it's pretty decent. You should find one and have the girl handle it before writing it off. The Bass Pro near here usually has a decent selection of Tikka, since they are distributed by Beretta.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This just popped up in my Twitter feed, although it looks to be a couple years old: 14 Awesome Rifles and Shotguns Great For Youth Shooters.

The only other thing I have to add to the conversation is that some folks have interesting ideas about what would constitute an innocuous rifle for a teenaged girl to carry...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    This. The Tikka Compact in .223 has a 1:8 twist making it a good choice for 75 grain slugs. Every other bolt gun I've looked at in .223 is 1:9 or slower.
    The older Tikka .223s came in multiple twists down to 1:12, always good to double check.

Howa listed weight on these (attached screenshot) is 5.7lbs.

The Tikka JRTXE312C mentioned earlier is listed at 5.9lbs by some vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Howa listed weight on these (attached screenshot) is 5.7lbs.

The Tikka JRTXE312C mentioned earlier is listed at 5.9lbs by some vendors. ]
    That Howa is a pretty light rifle with a 20" barrel. It'd be neat to chop 4" off the barrel and 1 1/2" off the stock.

I have seen so many different weights and twist rates listed for that Tikka rifle at various vendors! It's weird that it should be so confusing.

Thanks for looking that stuff up!
    Last edited by frozentundra; 07-15-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Another vote for the CZ527 in 7.62 x 39. Superb craftsmanship and quite accurate, and a great value at the price.

Ruger Mini/Ranch Rifle is a decent contender, but they've gotten pretty pricey for what they are.

Best, Jon

Based on how much I've enjoyed a CZ455, I'd likely give the CZ527 Youth Carbine a go if I was looking for a centerfire bolt action for my daughter.

Not sure if I saw this originally here on PF, or while I was researching a bolt for my practical rifle project last year. Either way, it's a pretty good barometer for how this gun will perform in the hands of a young lady.

User Tag List