Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P365XL range reports

Sig P365XL range reports

I wasn't sure if I should create a new thread like we did for the 43x and 48, or put this in the existing XL thread. If it should go in the existing thread, mods please move it.

I picked the gun up yesterday. When I got home I loaded the mags to capacity and let them sit full until this morning. I field stripped the gun and degreased it, then oiled it with FP10 that has a little extra friction modifier in it. This morning I emptied the mags, disassembled and cleaned them as they were coated in some sticky reddish cosmoline type crap. I loaded them back to capacity when done.

At the range, I started with Dot Torture from 3 for the first 50 shots.

Name:  IMG_1896.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1897.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  30.0 KB

The primer strikes are very solid and showed what may be a tiny bit of primer drag. Nothing like the drag marks from the original P365.

Name:  IMG_1900.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  21.7 KB

I shot some doubles drills at 5 yards and was able to run .21-.22 splits and keep them all in the -0. The XL is significantly milder than the original P365. I think the fact that they used a full-length recoil system instead of a longer barrel and slide with the same old short RSA makes a difference in recoil and dwell time (if that's the right word).

I swapped the uppers between the P365 and the XL and fired 10 rounds through each. They worked just fine and were quite manageable. I fired 10 more rounds through the P365, then finished off with the XL back in its original state. All configurations were good shooters, but I significantly prefer the P365 XL configuration. It will be getting an optic soon.

Pics I shared in the other thread.

Name:  IMG_1893.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1892.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1891.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  69.7 KB

I did take some video of the gun firing in multiple configurations to show the recoil pulse. I may or may not get around to uploading them.

I had never put more than 10 rounds in the magazines for the first 100 rounds, so towards the end of the session, I shot a magazine loaded 12+1. I did not experience the failure to go into battery issue that some have on YouTube. I shot 129 rounds total of American Eagle 124's through it and so far so good. (would have been 130, but I dumb-dicked one cartridge forward of the line) Will be trying some 147 HSTs soon.

I can't do the gun any real justice shooting indoors. I just can't see the sights well. Seems like it is going to shape up to be quite accurate and easy to shoot. This gun is closer to what I was hoping for in the Glock 48.

Last rounds at 7 yards.

Name:  IMG_1909.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  20.2 KB
    Last edited by cornstalker; 07-13-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Great post! Thanks for the effort you put in.

Thanks for a great report.

Any thoughts on the XL flat trigger vs. the curved on the smaller pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks for a great report.

Any thoughts on the XL flat trigger vs. the curved on the smaller pistol?
    I will be buying a flat trigger for the P365. I prefer it.

I uploaded a video of some doubles. I edited out me mumbling the splits and zooming in on the target. The distance was five yards. The target was a negative taped IDPA practice target. The shots were all -0. After the first pair I adjusted my grip, then fought off a flinch.

Edit: The times were .21, .22, .21, .21, .21

I don't make great videos, but at least the amount of your time that I waste is measured in seconds and not minutes, LOL.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 07-13-2019 at 02:58 PM.

@cornstalker, thanks for all the videos and photos. It's pretty hard to tell from the upward angle but it looks like the gun shoots pretty flat. Any chance we can get a photo of the slide from underneath with the barrel and RSA in place? I'm curious to see how it compares to the original P365 since you said it's a different full length RSA. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @cornstalker, thanks for all the videos and photos. It's pretty hard to tell from the upward angle but it looks like the gun shoots pretty flat. Any chance we can get a photo of the slide from underneath with the barrel and RSA in place? I'm curious to see how it compares to the original P365 since you said it's a different full length RSA. Thanks.
    Here you go.

Name:  IMG_1911.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1912.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  41.5 KB

@cornstalker, thank you Sir. Very interesting. It's a really neat pair of guns that Sig put out. I am looking forward to seeing how they shake out.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-13-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Purely from a measurement, not by feel, I wonder if the flat trigger extends reach, it looks like they intersect at the same place so it might be a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Purely from a measurement, not by feel, I wonder if the flat trigger extends reach, it looks like they intersect at the same place so it might be a wash.
    I will measure that when I get the XL back from my gunsmith. He wanted to borrow it so he could test drive it tomorrow.

User Tag List