Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Punisher Logo and Police

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    I've have had a few friendly encounters with law enforcement in various places which usually occur because of my inability to maintain proper speed.

Hands down the most professional law enforcement I've ever encountered is the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). Texas State Troopers have a strict uniform policy and I have yet to see one that is obese. A close second is the Pennsylvania State Police.

Zero morale patches spotted on either.
    CT state police is up there as well. Two uniforms:

Short sleeve in the summer, long in the winter.

Aside from ultra special assignments that's what they wear and I think it says something about their professionalism.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

I'm not a cop, I'm former .mil and otherwise a pretty regular guy.

I can't stand seeing the US Flag modified for the gain of specific groups, or as a means to show individuality. In other words, let Ol Glory represent the entire United States the way she should. She shouldn't be modified as a means to segregate.

Thin blue line flags and the like are stupid. I understand the idea is to show you're supportive of Law Enforcment, but I think there is a better way to do it then modifying my flag. It's the only thing I dislike about my LTT shirt, and why I don't wear it much.

I have the same issue with the thin red line flags. By the way, when did that become a symbol to support fireman and not a symbol about the horrors of war? I have no quarrel about what they represent it's about the manner they try to do it.

I think most patches are a no go for LEO from a professionalism stand point. I don't think the same is true for military while deployed to combat zones. Everyone having a similar patch or little logo can boost morale. I know one squad of my company always put on a patch of a wolf howling at the moon and called themselves the wolfpack. It helped keep their moral high, made their team stronger, and kept the warrior mindset for them. Fuck with the pack and you get bit. They could have used another logo just as easily and it would have functioned the same. For soldiers I think a willingness to be violent and kill others is a needed aspect that is more essential to the core mission. It's a soldier's duty to kill the enemy. Police not so much.

So I don't think patches detract too much from professionalism for deployed soldiers, but do detract from Police.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 07-14-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    but I think there is a better way to do it then modifying my flag.
    It's OUR flag sports fan.

Don't throw stones too far in that glass house.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-14-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

I've come to refer to several things as "mine". It's my country, my flag. Nothing about that stops it from being yours too.

I've never been much of a sports fan really. Thanks for implying I'm a hypocrite though. That was nice of you.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    For an interesting historical viewpoint. One of the strident anti-War demonstators in Viet Nam days was on the tube wearing an American Flag shirt. There was outcry and cursing. Horrors, horrors. However, the next day, Roy Rogers (a cowbody singing star for you young ones) wore the same shirt for his bit on the Ed Sullivan show (or some other variety TV show).

As far as logos, I have a polo shirt that says: Homicide Research Group. It is white with a classic black outline of a dead body (the chalk in the movies). My wife won't let me wear it out. I have worn it at matches where the gun folk thing it is some kind of cos play for my intent at the match. Ha - it is the tee shirt of the Homicide Research Group which is a subset of the American Society for Criminology and sold at their academic convention.

I used to wear my Rangemaster t-shirt to work out at the school gym. It's aggressive. So before I retired, I switched to just a plain old PC one. Guess I am a wussy.

Site Supporter

I can't stand seeing the US Flag modified for the gain of specific groups, or as a means to show individuality. In other words, let Ol Glory represent the entire United States the way she should. She shouldn't be modified as a means to segregate.

Thin blue line flags and the like are stupid. I understand the idea is to show you're supportive of Law Enforcment, but I think there is a better way to do it then modifying my flag. It's the only thing I dislike about my LTT shirt, and why I don't wear it much.

I have the same issue with the thin red line flags. By the way, when did that become a symbol to support fireman and not a symbol about the horrors of war? I have no quarrel about what they represent it's about the manner they try to do it.

I think most patches are a no go for LEO from a professionalism stand point. I don't think the same is true for military while deployed to combat zones. Everyone having a similar patch or little logo can boost morale. I know one squad of my company always put on a patch of a wolf howling at the moon and called themselves the wolfpack. It helped keep their moral high, made their team stronger, and kept the warrior mindset for them. Fuck with the pack and you get bit. They could have used another logo just as easily and it would have functioned the same. For soldiers I think a willingness to be violent and kill others is a needed aspect that is more essential to the core mission. It's a soldier's duty to kill the enemy. Police not so much.

So I don't think patches detract too much from professionalism for deployed soldiers, but do detract from Police.

-Cory
    The original blue line stuff was simply a blue line on a black background - the flag stuff came later and is not inherent to the blue line symbol.

As with gun related logos, in general, it doesn’t pay to advertise and is really only appropriate in certain venues.

I agree the Punisher logo is more appropriate for .mil than LEOs.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-14-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

That’s a military thing- my flag, my Army, my beloved Corps, my barracks, my bus. Taking personal pronoun possession of something that is clearly either a piece of the community or the community as a whole kind of puts a personal responsibility for it in the individual. It isn’t ever meant to mean “mine, not yours” but rather “This is something I take personal responsibility for, that I feel a personal ownership of a piece of it.”

-Cory
    I agree with your stance on the flag modifications - I'm not a fan either.

I'm standing fast that military units stick with the issued and official morale patches: unit insignia, name, rank, and U.S. Flag... or adjustments/combos thereof as mission/branch dictates. And that's regardless of deployed status. If you need something more to boost morale you may have bigger problems within the organization.

Just an opinion.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 07-17-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Site Supporter
    I agree with your stance on the flag modifications - I'm not a fan either.

I'm standing fast that military units stick with the issued and official morale patches: unit insignia, name, rank, and U.S. Flag... or adjustments/combos thereof as mission/branch dictates. And that's regardless of deployed status. If you need something more to boost morale you may have bigger problems within the organization.

Just an opinion.
    Morale patches, by definition are nether issued nor official.

Just an opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Morale patches, by definition are nether issued nor official.
    True enough, but there are a lot of aviators (and non-rated crew, which I was) out there who would tell you to GTFO telling them they can't wear their platoon/company patch on their flight suit. (Granted it can get ridiculous, I was counting the other day and I have two different patches for the same platoon, two more for the company, and one for the Special Mission "program.")
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List