Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book on Gun Violence with a Societal Take

Site Supporter

Book on Gun Violence with a Societal Take

Here's a new book on 'gun violence' that seems not to emphasize the gun as much as the social issues. I haven't read it, just this column. I might try to read in the future. Looks interesting:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ce-book-review

https://amzn.to/2ldGiVU

But in his new book Bleeding Out, criminal justice scholar Thomas Abt argues that it does not have to be this way. He presents a vision for dealing with urban violence by fundamentally rethinking how law enforcement and other government resources are used — a cost-effective solution that could save lives, while being more palatable to both political parties than sweeping gun control.

Fixed the link.
    #RESIST

The societal “issue” that drives gun violence is the drug trade - plain and simple. We don’t need to waste anymore money “studying” gun violence.

Sure, there are small contributions from domestic violence and suicide, but even those have roots in substance abuse - either alcohol or drugs.

Bottom line, urban America will NEVER be a peaceful society with clean streets as long as 15% of the population is either drunk or high.

And, people who think that legalization is the answer were not paying attention between 1990-2016 when oxy was essentially unregulated and many pharmacies were pumping out a year’s supply every week...
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

This:
    From a Harvard scholar and former Obama official, a powerful proposal for curtailing violent crime in America

Urban violence is one of the most divisive and allegedly intractable issues of our time. But as Harvard scholar Thomas Abt shows in Bleeding Out, we actually possess all the tools necessary to stem violence in our cities.

Coupling the latest social science with firsthand experience as a crime-fighter, Abt proposes a relentless focus on violence itself -- not drugs, gangs, or guns.
    plus this:
    Thomas Abt is a senior research fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. Previously, he served as a policymaker in Barack Obama's Justice Department and worked for New York governor Andrew Cuomo, overseeing all criminal justice and homeland security agencies in the state.
    makes he suspect he don't know shit.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Yes, next we are going to be discussing books on economics written by AOC and Bernie Sanders.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The societal “issue” that drives gun violence is the drug trade - plain and simple. We don’t need to waste anymore money “studying” gun violence.

Sure, there are small contributions from domestic violence and suicide, but even those have roots in substance abuse - either alcohol or drugs.

Bottom line, urban America will NEVER be a peaceful society with clean streets as long as 15% of the population is either drunk or high.

And, people who think that legalization is the answer were not paying attention between 1990-2016 when oxy was essentially unregulated and many pharmacies were pumping out a year’s supply every week...
    I have heard judges say that 85% of the people who come before them on criminal matters are there because of drugs. I have also read of studies indicating an even higher percentage of crimes for which drugs in some way played a part. Based on that, I completely agree with the quoted post.

Turning to the article linked in the original post, how exactly do we "give" people jobs, health care, etc.? Someone has to pay the bill for all that is being "given" to these people.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Turning to the article linked in the original post, how exactly do we "give" people jobs, health care, etc.? Someone has to pay the bill for all that is being "given" to these people.
    How much are we paying to constantly cycle them through the criminal justice system and clean up the mess they make for the rest of society?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How much are we paying to constantly cycle them through the criminal justice system and clean up the mess they make for the rest of society?
    Certainly a lot.

However, the "cost" of "giving" someone a job is more than spending money.

How is that job provided?

Would a private business be required to hire them? If so, then the entire cost is being placed on a single entity. Guess how long that entity will remain profitable?

Do we incentivize hiring certain individuals? Unless that individual can contribute more than they cost, that would have to be a significant incentive. What effect does that then have on the rest of the employees? How does that affect the productivity of the organization?

Do we employ them through the government? Same set of problems, but now the cost is spread out more.

A job is not something that is given. It is earned. I am all for helping these people (as well as others) seek, find, and earn a job, but a job is simply not something that can be "given" if our society is to remain productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    ...makes he suspect he don't know shit.
    The "gun problem" reference used pretty much confirms this.

"...how exactly do we "give" people jobs, health care, etc.?"

And, how do you give someone a job who doesn't want one...

User Tag List