Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Hits with J Frame When Under Pressure

High Hits with J Frame When Under Pressure

I discovered yesterday that when shooting a J frame under time pressure I hit ~8" high at 7 yds. Self diagnosis reveals that I'm holding my front
    sight proud of the rear trough. The stock front sight and rear notch are so small that, in a hurry, I bring the muzzle up to see more of the front sight. The situation is probably exacerbated by my poor near vision, a result of cataract surgery.

For reference the gun is a S&W Model 60 with 2" barrel. The front ramp is painted red and rear notch is blackened via sharpie treatment. The 60 is a training gun for my 642.

In slow fire this isn't an issue. I can shoot one ragged home while doing ball and dummy drill. But the high hits occur when I'm coming from the holster and going moderately fast (which for me with a J frame at 7yds is 2 - 2.5 s). This problem is unique to my J frames. I don't have the same issues with a P2000, G19, etc.

Anybody else worked through this issue? Seems like I could learn to hold low (sub optimal) or get better sights (expensive). I'd appreciate any other thoughts.
    Last edited by Mark D; 07-13-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Something i got from Claude Werner, only paint the amount of the front sight your chosen color(red, green, orange etc) that is needed for alignment, then paint the area below that white so that when you aim down the sights and you see the bottom white and instantly know you are a bit proud in the notch and can adjust.

It helped me. My j naturally points a bit high for me, like a glock i have to put a bit more bend in my wrist to align the sights. I'm experimenting with grips now but the above solution seemed to help me with the issue currently.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....-snubs-sights/
    Last edited by backtrail540; 07-13-2019 at 03:19 AM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    I have the same problem. Actually, for me the problem appeared after I started focusing on the Glock 19.3. Before that I never had this issue.

My solution was similar to Mr Werner's, but instead of using two colors, I painted just the bit of front sight that would fill the rear notch under proper alignment. If I see any non-white front sight, I'm aiming high. His method looks good too, though would be a bit more difficult to implement and maintain over time.

Chris

Much like shotguns, one has to keep their head down when shooting pistols. It sounds like you're looking over the sights instead of through them. This tendency is magnified with J frames and their typical short sight radius and the tendency to point high when the stocks are comfortable in the users' hands. You can spend more time dryfiring and teach yourself to not do this or you can swap stocks, or a combination of the two.

Painting the sights helps with a visual confirmation that your hold is correct.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 07-13-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Try taking about 1/10 second more time. That small amount of time can make a big difference when trying to be accurate at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Something i got from Claude Werner, only paint the amount of the front sight your chosen color(red, green, orange etc) that is needed for alignment, then paint the area below that white so that when you aim down the sights and you see the bottom white and instantly know you are a bit proud in the notch and can adjust.

It helped me. My j naturally points a bit high for me, like a glock i have to put a bit more bend in my wrist to align the sights. I'm experimenting with grips now but the above solution seemed to help me with the issue currently.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....-snubs-sights/
    Cheap cops use white out for this. Reapply as necessary.

pat

I agree with painting only the amount necessary for acquiring proper alignment. Some folks do way too much of the ramp.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Thanks folks, I appreciate the input.

My entire front ramp is painted red, so I'll repaint the front sight as suggested, and slow down a bit. I may play around with stocks too. Oh, and practice more.
    Last edited by Mark D; 07-13-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Thanks folks, I appreciate the input.

My entire front ramp is painted red, so I'll repaint the front sight as suggested, and slow down a bit. I may play around with stocks too. Oh, and practice more.
    How old is your M60, as regards its sights? I ask because I have my FIL's square butt 60 with the skinny notch and skinny front blade and it is a chore to see the sights and fast work is out of the question. I'm scraping up the funds to buy a M60 pro with the interchangeable sights because at 50, I really need a U or large, .150" + notch in the rear and something like a .125" blade with fiber optic or the green/orange border tritium sights for defensive use. Given the prices I've seen for modifying sights on a J frame, it makes more sense to buy a new one with the sights you need to use.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    How old is your M60, as regards its sights? I ask because I have my FIL's square butt 60 with the skinny notch and skinny front blade and it is a chore to see the sights and fast work is out of the question. I'm scraping up the funds to buy a M60 pro with the interchangeable sights because at 50, I really need a U or large, .150" + notch in the rear and something like a .125" blade with fiber optic or the green/orange border tritium sights for defensive use. Given the prices I've seen for modifying sights on a J frame, it makes more sense to buy a new one with the sights you need to use.

My M60 is a "-9" in .357 with a round butt. Circa 1990's I think. As you indicate, I may need to look at the J-frames with upgraded sights.

User Tag List