Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High Hits with J Frame When Under Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Since you stated your intent to carry it, it may be more beneficial to get some serious range time in with your chosen carry ammo rather than random reloads. I know my G19 produces mediocre accuracy / poa with cheap ball ammo but shoots magnitudes better with quality defensive ammo. It was a mistake for me to base my idea of where it would hit in relation to the sights using 115 gr ball vs 124 or 147 gr defensive ammo.
    Agreed. For slow fire I have a decent notes on POA vs POI for various factory JHP rounds.

However the high hits I wrote about in my original post were, sadly, the result of my shitty technique, not the ammo.
    Last edited by Mark D; 07-20-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    I gave a little thought to my high-shooting issue and realized it only started after I started focusing on my Glock and changed the grips on my j-frame to Altamont Bateleurs. The latter may be more important as the Bateleurs have a pronounced "hump" down load that seem to push the muzzle of the gun higher when I don't compensate. Prior to getting the Bateleurs, I used various flavors of "boot" grip. I think that may have been the cause. Soooo, I went out and got a set of [ur=https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-j-frame-round-butt-rubber-monogrip-black[Hogue grips[/url]. They point much more naturally and I'm seeing that my POA from a draw is right on target without having to adjust. I haven't gone to the range yet, so this is all conjecture.

Unfortunately, the grips are rather large, longer than the Bateleurs, which are longer than boot grips. Needless to say, the gun is not pocketable, but that's not a problem since I've exclusively carried AIWB these last couple years.

If this sort things out, I may try reshaping the Altamonts to do away with the hump.

Chris

Site Supporter
    The Hogue grips did the trick. I'm not shooting high with those. Unfortunately, they're not at all good for concealment in hot weather. Pocket carry is right out and AIWB under a t-shirt is prone to printing. Chances are, nobody notices, but I do.

So, given my "success" at the range, I took the Altamonts and sanded the backstrap flatish top to bottom. This seems to work, but I won't know for certain until I get back to the range. Still, it points to a grip issue...

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    So, given my "success" at the range, I took the Altamonts and sanded the backstrap flatish top to bottom. This seems to work, but I won't know for certain until I get back to the range. Still, it points to a grip issue...

Chris

If anyone is still paying attention (), modifying my Altamont Bateleurs did the trick. Making the backstrap "flatter", and removing the lower backstrap bulge that pressed into your palm, removed the tendency to point high. I did 50 draw-and-shoot drills with timer pressure and not a single one hit high.

I also gave the Taurus 85 grips a try (picked up a set cheap on ebay). They worked similarly well, but the Altamonts, by virtue of their slightly longer length, were easier to shoot. If you're not pocket carrying, I'd go with modified Altamont Bateleur grips first.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 07-27-2019 at 02:57 PM.

User Tag List