Thread: Pretty cool article on the evolution of the .38 Treasury Load

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Pretty cool article on the evolution of the .38 Treasury Load

Here's the link:

https://loadoutroom.com/118039/ammo-...treasury-load/

I hope others find it as informative as I did.

Interesting read.

Site Supporter
    Never Mind.
    Last edited by Dave T; 07-13-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Here's the link:

https://loadoutroom.com/118039/ammo-...treasury-load/

I hope others find it as informative as I did.
    Thanks--it was informative. I remember back in the 1970's debating the relative merits of 110 grain loads and the general consensus was that they were just too light to penetrate reliably. That's when many of us started carrying wadcutters in j-frames, because the 158 grain loads wouldn't expand in them.

However, there were two sides of the story. Back then, (an amazingly violent time in America) many of the gun fights cops got into were with heroin addicts, and addicts tended to be pretty skinny, and the 110 grain loads had a pretty good reputation on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Never Mind.
    I noted a few things in the article that don't match what I witnessed, but I came on in 1993. My first agency issued the Federal FBI load in .38 and either Olin Super Match 147 grain 9mm or the Federal equivalent. Our Rangemaster used to know Dr Fackler and Gary Roberts used to shoot at the San Bruno Range.

Site Supporter
    From 1981 to 1987 I was the chief firearms instructor and range master for my department in Southern Arizona. I developed new and innovative training and even talked the Sheriff's Dept into training on a quarterly basis. Prior to that we only qualified on a PPC revolver course once a year. I occasionally got people from other agencies to participate, including State Game & Fish, US Customs, and Border Patrol.

After a night firing exercise in which several PB agents participated, their Captain hung around and we talked guns and training. He liked what I was doing and greatly admired the Hoag built duty gun I carried (a 1969 Government Model). He lamented that even though the government let them carry 357 Magnum revolvers (if I remember correctly his personal weapon was a Python) they had to carry the "Treasury Load" from Federal. He cited several failures of that round to stop assailants and said he would rather be carrying a 1911 loaded with Ball.

This was a number of years before the BP went to the DAO Beretta in 40 S&W. Was that the Model 94? I'm getting old and can't remember chit! (lol)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 07-13-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    FWIW the author, Mike Wood, is a wheelgun aficionado of the highest order. He also wrote a book on the Newhall incident, and his stuff can be regularly read on the “RevolverGuy” blog.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    From 1981 to 1987 I was the chief firearms instructor and range master for my department in Southern Arizona. I developed new and innovative training and even talked the Sheriff's Dept into training on a quarterly basis. Prior to that we only qualified on a PPC revolver course once a year. I occasionally got people from other agencies to participate, including State Game & Fish, US Customs, and Border Patrol.

After a night firing exercise in which several PB agents participated, their Captain hung around and we talked guns and training. He liked what I was doing and greatly admired the Hoag built duty gun I carried (a 1969 Government Model). He lamented that even though the government let them carry 357 Magnum revolvers (if I remember correctly his personal weapon was a Python) they had to carry the "Treasury Load" from Federal. He cited several failures of that round to stop assailants and said he would rather be carrying a 1911 loaded with Ball.

This was a number of years before the BP went to the DAO Beretta in 40 S&W. Was that the Model 94? I'm getting old and can't remember chit! (lol)

Dave
    .40 Beretta is the 96.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    .40 Beretta is the 96.
    That's the one. Told ya I couldn't remember. And I confess to being to lazy to look it up. (smile)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    FWIW the author, Mike Wood, is a wheelgun aficionado of the highest order. He also wrote a book on the Newhall incident, and his stuff can be regularly read on the “RevolverGuy” blog.
    His articles are always a fun and informative read!

Sort of wish I hadn't followed the link to his article on the new King Cobra, which I now "need."
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List