Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K frame rear sight options

If you want the functional equivalent of the Hannon guns youd probably be better off either getting a used model 14, AKA the 6" K-38 target gun and having the barrel cut to the length you want, or getting a used 15 and getting a used 14 barrel (Ive seen them in the $75 range) and doing the work. Simplest and cheapest is probably the 14. Ive watched them on GB, they can he had in the $300-$350 range now and then for working grade guns with some finish wear if you are patient, same for the 15s.

If you have a fixed sight K, IF you can fine someone with the cutter needed for the undercut for the sight elevator nut, buy a sight, then get a 14 barrel and cut it, you end up with the same basic thing again. Anything is possible with money, its just a matter of your acceptable budget, how reasonably you can get work done if you cant do it yourself and what the alternatives cost to achieve the same end.

I like projects and am not afraid to do some basic stuff myself, but cutting a frame for adjustable sights isnt something that can easily be done at home without special tooling and machines and those that have them want real money to do it. If you have access to a mill and can get the rear sight nut cutter, it may be worth trying yourself.

Edit: Just looked around heres a 15-6 with heavy barrel. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814847995
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Edit: Just looked around heres a 15-6 with heavy barrel. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814847995
    That old soldier is showing some mileage but how much do you want to bet that action is smooth as can be.

Dave

The knowledge base on this site is just unmatched. I had no idea about the special cutter required for a Smith rear sight. Guess I rethink the project some.

Thank you all!

This thread has reminded me of a Skeeter Skelton article entitled "Dobe Grant's Old 45 Colt" about a customized Colt New Service in 45 ACP. I think that it's copyrighted so I won't post it, but do a Google image search using the article's title and you'll see what I mean.

I think you could do something very similar with a K-frame and a set of the kind of dovetailed sights that are made for semi-auto pistols, but it would get expensive.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    The knowledge base on this site is just unmatched. I had no idea about the special cutter required for a Smith rear sight. Guess I rethink the project some.

Thank you all!
    Its not super complicated, just that theres a particular tool cutter required to do it.

The elevation stud (misnamed in the image) in this picture is the part needing the undercut in the rear frame cut,

https://2img.net/h/s5.postimg.cc/62u...lesight-1-.jpg

It should be similar to this, but this is not the one needed for S&W sights. Im surprised Brownells doesnt have it.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rod118237.aspx
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.

The Hanen Special barrel is a heavier profile than the model 14 barrels. Look at the 3 barrels side by side in DB's picture. The Hanen uses the heavy barrel of the model 10.

The cutter needed for the rear sight elevation stud can be easily made from drill rod. You would need a lathe to cut the profile and then file the teeth by hand. Then heat treat with a torch to color. I made one in the mid '70s, while at Colorado School of Trades, for a 1911 project. Then use a ball end cutter for the elevation nut relief. My hand made cutter was later stolen in 1980 along with my tools in a mini warehouse theft.

The main stumbling block for me now is no access to a lathe or milling machine for the work.

I do have a 10-6 HB in shooter grade finish condition that is mechanically perfect for a donor. I also have spare rear sights. I have a 15-3 4 inch but don't want to give it up.

In my area it is rare to see model 14s or 15s for sale anywhere but gun shows and the prices there are absurd. The model 10 seems like a more viable concept. Obviously finding a gunsmith/machinist will be costly. I am searching locally to keep from having to add the cost of shipping to the equation.
    Last edited by Bushytale; 07-14-2019 at 05:12 AM.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Site Supporter
    How different is a model 19 and a hanen 14-2?

The model 19 4 inch has the same barrel profile of the model 14 4 inch. The Hanen/Dayton is the heavier profile of the heavy barrel model 10. Check out DB's picture in the "Smith model 14 Dayton heavy barrel" thread on page 2.
    Last edited by Bushytale; 07-15-2019 at 03:33 AM.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

User Tag List