Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K frame rear sight options

K frame rear sight options

Are fixed sight K frames easily milled for Smith and Wesson adjustable rear sights? Specifically, pre lock K's and the old, full length rear sights. Would I just be better off looking for a K frame with adjustables? It's that they are kind of scarce in my area. Thanks in advance.

Possible, not cheap, probably takes taller front.
    I'd look for a 15.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Are fixed sight K frames easily milled for Smith and Wesson adjustable rear sights? Specifically, pre lock K's and the old, full length rear sights. Would I just be better off looking for a K frame with adjustables? It's that they are kind of scarce in my area. Thanks in advance.
    Is your point of aim different from your point of impact, or are you looking for better sight visibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Something different. DB's Hanen thread, with his post of Scott Reitz's very heavy barreled K frame, has me thinking, terrible, expensive things. Trying to get an idea of a good starting point and I don't want to ruin anything with any collectors value.

Boy, you need to come back towards the campfire...

Site Supporter
    The best advice I could give is not to fix what isn’t broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I pondered this point quite a bit after I got my model 64, and I think the best answer for me is a model 67. I'm not a revolver person though.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Hanen dreaming

After seeing DBs Hanen Special, I started looking at my 15-3 and thought about installing a model 10 heavy barrel. It would need a front sight like the Bowen.

Then my thoughts went to my 10-6 and the idea of milling it for a rear sight and adding the front sight. Looking and measuring it appears to be very do-able. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a vertical mill and would have to find a smith to do that job. I am searching locally in south Florida for a good gunsmith/machinist.
    Last edited by Bushytale; 07-13-2019 at 04:47 AM. Reason: add info
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Keep an eye on any place that sells used guns, especially pawnshops. More than a few fixed-sight Smiths had adjustable sights added back when competent gunsmiths were more common than money, and the estates of the guys who had that work done are coming onto the market. Some are the revolver equivalent of the butchered Mauser 98k but others are remarkably well executed. From a collector's perspective, these guns are junk, and they tend to be priced accordingly.

A couple of years ago, I saw a 4" bull-barreled M-64 like that. Someone had added an old-style S&W adjustable rear sight and neatly dovetailed a front sight into the barrel. It was essentially a homegrown Hanen made of stainless steel that could take a tritium front sight. The work was crisp and professional, but clearly not done at the factory. By the time I got my head out of my ass and went back for it, it was gone.

Price was $249.00.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Over the years I have seen several M-10 HBs and I think a M-64 HB on GB that had a short Bo-Mar Rib installed. Made kind of a neat 4", semi-bull gun. I was always intrigued but not enough to start sending money orders. I'll probably start looking for them again, if nothing else out of curiosity. I have no idea how many PPC shooters had these done but I've seen enough of them to think it was a "thing to do" back in the '70s or '80s.

Dave

User Tag List