Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) Charles Daly Hi Power

New (to me) Charles Daly Hi Power

Here's something I just picked up off gunbroker. I likely paid too much for it but value is somewhat hard to establish since these don't seem all too common.

As I understand it, these are actually FEG Hungary pistols that were brought into the US by Charles Daly. They were final fit and finished by either Dan Wesson or Magnum Research. Originally they were sold with a ring hammer, Ashley Express sights and a set of Uncle Mike's rubber grips. I remember seeing magazine ads for these back in the day but don't remember ever seeing one in a shop. I think they ultimately failed because they were too expensive when compared to either a standard FEG clone or a real FN pistol.

As can be seen, this pistol has been modified slightly from stock configuration. The previous owner says he used to live close to Novak's in West Virginia. While living there he had a trigger job done (note the Novak hammer and thumb safety) and had the sights changed. The magazine disconnect is gone and the sear has been replaced with what appears to be a stainless version.

Plans are to replace the rather dinged up trigger pin and maybe replace the grips. I think a green or brown set of grips would look better. Otherwise, I probably won't do much other than probably flatten out the feed ramp.

Hopefully I'll shoot it this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 07-12-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Site Supporter
    I bought a used Charles Daly hipower for $375. I haven’t played with it yet. I threw it in the safe with a browning hipower I paid too much for because I was on gunbroker and drinking bourbon. I promised myself I would not sell these two . I have bought and sold probably 8 hipowers in the last 30 years and I would have been ahead if I just stuck to the first two I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I bought a used Charles Daly hipower for $375. I haven’t played with it yet.
    Throw up a pic or two.

Who did the work on yours? DW or Magnum? Is it still stock?

I still love a nice Hi-Power. Great pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    I still love a nice Hi-Power. Great pistols
    There is a long long thread on the AK board about the possibility of FEG rifles being brought in again. The OP says he has also located some NIB Hi Powers in some forgotten Hungarian warehouse. Hopefully those will make it over here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    There is a long long thread on the AK board about the possibility of FEG rifles being brought in again. The OP says he has also located some NIB Hi Powers in some forgotten Hungarian warehouse. Hopefully those will make it over here too.

That would be nice. I would not mind picking one up, if it is a decent price.

Site Supporter
    My Daly is stock. I don’t remember who assembled it. I think dan Wesson. IIRC 10-8 sights will fit.

I like it except for the rollmark/slide lettering.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    My Daly is stock. I don’t remember who assembled it. I think dan Wesson. IIRC 10-8 sights will fit.
    I believe the rear (maybe the front?) are standard 1911 Novak cuts.

The gun now sports a gold bead front and an adjustable Novak rear. If and when I change them I'll probably get 3 dot tritium.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I like it except for the rollmark/slide lettering.
    Yeah the markings certainly could be less "billboardy."

User Tag List