Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this 2" S&W Model 10

Thoughts on this 2" S&W Model 10

I am strongly considering bidding on this:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/821149520

It looks pretty good to me, but I am always a little leery of buying guns without being able to put my booger hooks on them first.

Site Supporter
    I'd bid on it.

Chris

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    You've got five days, If I were you, I'd ask the seller if the timing it OK and if there is any endshake or pushoff. If he doesn't respond, or if he gives n answer that indicates that he's no idea what you mean, I'd walk away.

(I did that with the Model 15 that I bought a couple of years ago. )

Looking at the photos, the gun's either hardly been used or it was refinished. The recoil shield doesn't look as though it fired a lot of rounds. It's hard to see, for certain, but it appears that there's no flame-cutting.

I personally hate auction items with a reserved price on them, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 07-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Looks good in pictures.

I once saw it called the Desk Sergeant's Special. Square butt K frame, but short so as to not bump the swivel chair.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I already had it on my watch list. I’ve been looking for old & cheap model 10s for my daughters. My married daughter and her husband aren’t gun owners but I think I can change that if the guns are free. I have been thinking about it ever since DB’s snubby podcast. A .38 with wadcutters is fun to shoot and simple to handle. Two .38s, a simple lock box, two flash lights and a few boxes of ammo would be $1000 well spent on loved ones.

love that Desk Sargeant's Special moniker. 2" barrels are conducive to being drawn from a seated position. I remember those old oak Captain's chairs and how sitting in one with a Sam Browne on was a non-pleasant experience. Model 10 2" on a trouser belt was a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I already had it on my watch list. I’ve been looking for old & cheap model 10s for my daughters. My married daughter and her husband aren’t gun owners but I think I can change that if the guns are free. I have been thinking about it ever since DB’s snubby podcast. A .38 with wadcutters is fun to shoot and simple to handle. Two .38s, a simple lock box, two flash lights and a few boxes of ammo would be $1000 well spent on loved ones.
    If you were already looking at it, I won't bid. I don't want to jack up the price for you.

Site Supporter
    Thanks but you can bid without a worry. Not in the cards this month. Maybe a .32 S&W

"Inspection/ Return Policy: Three Days from the date the item is received, including the cost of shipping"

Go for it (although the "Buy It Now" price seems high.) Download and follow the Revolver Checkout Procedure and send it back if it doesn't pass.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The recoil shield doesn't look as though it fired a lot of rounds. It's hard to see, for certain, but it appears that there's no flame-cutting.
    This, plus minimal turn line, wear at all the likely ding-collecting points, etc. I’m sure it’s in fine condition.

That said, that buy it now price is crack-tacular. 9 bills? For a 2" square M10 that Jim Cirillo *didn’t* use in a fight?

It is to guffaw. I paid less than that for my King Cobra, and a *lot* less than that for my Night Cobra. Hell, I paid less than that for my minty NY-1 tuned by the late and great Denny Reichard. And my turn-less M12. And...

Nice wheelie, though.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List