Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Coast Guardsmen jump onto moving narco-sub

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Hah! We don't even treat pirates like pirates anymore.

We take their weapons, give them water and halal meals, then set them free.
    Not always, but I take your point.
    Name:  2012-12-23_13-04-11_78.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  34.6 KB
    Name:  2012-12-23_13-04-43_846.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  31.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Drang; 07-13-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

That was an in-extremis hostage rescue, not just piracy (the act of unlawfully seizing a vessel) in itself. They weren't shot because they were pirates.

It's the policy of CTF-150/151, Ocean Shield, and Atalanta to catch and release armed persons suspected of piracy (i.e. roaming the high seas with weapons, pursuing vessels when evasive action is taken, more people than usual for a boat of its size, and not hauling any cargo or fishing). Those who are caught in the act of attempting to seize a vessel are arrested and sent to Kenya where they are almost always released due to non-prosecution.

The system is incredibly weak; no western nation treats piracy on the high seas as punishable by death anymore.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-13-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Totally bad ass? Yes. Were there better courses of action that could've been taken? Yes. Could you say that about every totally bad ass action in the history of forever? Yes. Did the Union Navy call? Yes. Do they want their ironclad back? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's the policy of CTF-150/151, Ocean Shield, and Atalanta to catch and release armed persons suspected of piracy (i.e. roaming the high seas with weapons, pursuing vessels when evasive action is taken, more people than usual for a boat of its size, and not hauling any cargo or fishing). Those who are caught in the act of attempting to seize a vessel are arrested and sent to Kenya where they are almost always released due to non-prosecution.
    I can't even begin to tell you how sad that makes me. In the 19th Century and before, the consensus was that pirates were the enemies of all civilization; I see no reason to believe otherwise today.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Should it be though? Was the “war” on drugs ever brought to a close? I know I got some people fired up in the past for a similar topic, but this one seems to have even more credibility for at least a discussion. These are [presumably] foreign nationals and I assume the USCG had decent reason to believe they were smuggling illegal substances into the country. I’m curious what their ROE/EOF is and if they’re able to use some type of less than lethal/signaling method to remove any doubt that they’re attempting to stop the sub. If compliance isn’t immediate, would it be so bad if lethal force was authorized? What’s the alternative? What’s honestly going to happen to the guys in the sub?

User Tag List