Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coast Guardsmen jump onto moving narco-sub

Coast Guardsmen jump onto moving narco-sub

Site Supporter
    Yes indeed!

Badass but also pretty damn exposed. That could've gone a couple different ways, none of 'em particularly good.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Badass but also pretty damn exposed. That could've gone a couple different ways, none of 'em particularly good.
    That’s my concern as we start publicizing that we’re finding and boarding these subs. How long til the cartels start sticking a security detail, even one person, in those subs with an automatic weapon trained on the hatch while under way?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    What happens when the narcos make those things fully-submersible?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    That’s my concern as we start publicizing that we’re finding and boarding these subs. How long til the cartels start sticking a security detail, even one person, in those subs with an automatic weapon trained on the hatch while under way?
    The calculus on that is wrong. Because then the cutter will sink it with a deck gun.

I have some safety concerns with the way that guy handled that, but then again we're only getting a fish eye view of a moment in time.

Our biggest concern when we did EastPac boarding wasn't really a raging gunfight. That was only going to end one way and the dopers knew it. Our concern was they would grab one of us as a hostage and try to bargain for their freedom.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Maritime drug interdiction has been a thing for a long time. We don’t have to publicize it— they know when one of their shipments doesn’t arrive.

My bigger concern would be falling in the ocean with all that gear on.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Maritime drug interdiction has been a thing for a long time. We don’t have to publicize it— they know when one of their shipments doesn’t arrive.

We were following Colombians in the early 90's on their travels (USA / Canada) to buy aircraft and subs to broaden their distribution.
    It was a fascinating time to be sure. Fuckers were ingenious with some of the novel approaches they came up with.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

My bigger concern would be falling in the ocean with all that gear on.[/QUOTE]

I thought of that too. I assumed there’s some type of flotation device on their gear

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

In 1996, when my body fat percentage was much lower, we found out that certain Coasties in plate carriers would sink, even with a C02 vest deployed. I had a good time sitting on my ass at the bottom of the deep end of a pool trying to get all the straps and such undone, after first letting my buoyancy vest go because it was on over everything else.

They went to a belt mounted, CO2 activated PFD, and a plate carrier that would break away with a cable release. If I remember correctly that carrier was developed after a Marine Raider team went in the water following a helo crash, but my recollection of the details of that are pretty fuzzy.

Despite all that, in 2011 ME3 Shaun Lin died during a hook and climb training exercise in the James River. His death was one of those tragedies that shouldn't have happened, because the breakaway cable on his vest didn't work, and his buoyancy vest was missing both cartridges. I disremember if he was a LEDET or a MSRT guy at the time, but it put a shockwave through the whole Coast Guard tactical community. The CG has its failings, but they are committed to not letting people die in the same stupid way twice. I was long gone when all this happened, but my understanding is water survival with all your gear on is a big deal now.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List