Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry with Kids

Concealed Carry with Kids

Something I’ve been thinking about: I carry daily, but I often have a 5 yr old and 18 month old with me - in a stroller, in a grocery cart, in a backpack, in my arms, in the car.

Obviously the first step is to de-escalate and escape, but if it comes to drawing the weapon, what do you do? If I can give the kids to my wife and cover their escape that’d be best, but what if I’m not with my wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

So I've seen demonstrations of two man team tactics where one goes on a knee to reload and the other steps in front to cover with his body as he is providing suppressive fire. I am FAR from a tactician but I wonder if somthing like this would be applicable if no route of retreat is available? This may also be a bad idea...I dont know.

Concealed Carry with Kids

I’m through that stage, thankfully. Different parental headaches now with a teenager.

For me, AIWB was not a viable option when carrying the kiddo. When the kiddo was in my arms his leg was a definite obstruction to a draw stroke. Carried a gun on dominant side hip and kiddo on support side. Wear loose clothing that I could get my dominant thumb under and sweep up past the gun during the draw. LOTS OF PRACTICE!!

Stroller wasn’t a big deal aside from needing to be able to control stroller as you’re drawing. Again, practice single handed draws.

Never did the backpack thing, so I can’t comment. Maybe a Hill People Gear kit bag across the chest if you’re out and about in wilderness. No ideas on the urban jungle.

As an FYI, my first plan was always to beat feet though.
    Last edited by TAZ; 07-11-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Something I’ve been thinking about: I carry daily, but I often have a 5 yr old and 18 month old with me - in a stroller, in a grocery cart, in a backpack, in my arms, in the car.

Obviously the first step is to de-escalate and escape, but if it comes to drawing the weapon, what do you do? If I can give the kids to my wife and cover their escape that’d be best, but what if I’m not with my wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just let your wife handle it. Mamma bears are the most dangerous animal.
    Also to the topic of concealed carry with kids: I've found carrying concealed children to always be difficult.

There is a class about this called Contextual Handgun: The Armed Parent/Guardian taught by John Johnston and Melody Lauer of Citizens Defense Research / Ballistic Radio.

I haven't attended it, but have read positive reviews and heard good things about it. Those who have attended the class seem to give it incredibly positive remarks, but nobody seems to be giving away a tremendous amount of information from the class.

Personally, my plan is to live a pretty boring life. It's working out tremendously so far. If true violence approaches with intent while I'm with my 2.5 year old I'm going to do my best to see it coming and not be there. If I find myself encountering violence while my son is with me, I've determined several specific "line in the sand" scenarios or actions ahead of time. If A, B, or C specific event happens while with my kid take a pre-planed decisive aggressive response. Those lines are a fair bit sooner than if I were alone, as I'm not willing to allow my son to be subjected to as much ambiguous danger as myself alone.

Luckily, my pretty mundane work/home/grocery/family house/range keeps much of this stuff academic. Violence could come after me, but it's going to have to search for a minute because I'm not in it's usual hang out.

-Cory

Banned

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    There is a class about this called Contextual Handgun: The Armed Parent/Guardian taught by John Johnston and Melody Lauer of Citizens Defense Research / Ballistic Radio.

-Cory
    Without having attended myself (my son is a bit older) or having done much research beyond seeing solid reviews from people I trust, this seems like a good Step 1.

I have attended the class discussed above. OP, it is well worth your time and would answer many of the questions you pose. My review can be read at the link below...

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress...il-27-28-2019/

I have a 1yr old. I typically have my wife manage him so I can have my hands free in public.

I do carry him in a chest carrier but he's just now getting to big for that. I do need to carry at 4oclock when I do though. If I'm just holding him I make sure he stays on my left side. I've been vigilant with keeping my right hand clear ever since I was in the Marines. Even now I'll only ever carry groceries in my left hand etc.

Ideally my first goal is keeping him safe. I'll probably run first. Draw if I can't and if my wife is present then I'll make sure they are safe.
    Name:  Resized_20190707_141030.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  58.9 KB

Just a couple months ago I had to draw my gun while walking down a dirt road against 3 large unleashed dogs that wound up agressing towards my leashed dog. My wife had the leash and stroller all ready so I could mange the dogs. Fortunately I was able to get a few good kicks in and was able to yell forcefully enough to make them think twice untill we could get enough distance between us so I didn't need to shoot thankfully but I was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've been vigilant with keeping my right hand clear ever since I was in the Marines. Even now I'll only ever carry groceries in my left hand etc.
    FWIW on this in particular, people who already have something in their hand when they need to draw just drop the extraneous item. It's natural.

People who have something in their support hand naturally tend to hold onto it and shoot SHO.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List