Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concealed Carry with Kids

I'll echo what's been said. I've tried to condition my kids (and my wife) to walk on my support side i.e. holding hands while crossing a street etc. Being kids they don't really get into this habit at all & I have to actively maneuver to either minimize printing or maintain strong side access. If I have to carry a bag I prefer AIWB. Having young kids transitioned me away from G19 to a USPc V1
    Last edited by J0hnny; 07-12-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Never did the backpack thing, so I can’t comment. Maybe a Hill People Gear kit bag across the chest if you’re out and about in wilderness. No ideas on the urban jungle.
    Yeah I have the Kit Bag, it’s awesome. I wear it on suburban trails without a second glance from most. Mostly worried about rabid dogs/coyotes there.

Problem is drawing fire back towards myself and therefore my son in the backpack. There’s no easy/fast way out of the backpack. Last resort, obviously, is to draw and start a gunfight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Violence could come after me, but it's going to have to search for a minute because I'm not in it's usual hang out.
    That’s true for me too, especially when I’m with kids. They go to bed at 1930, so we’re not out after dark and we’re not in bad parts of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Site Supporter
    My girls are 7 and 3, and I've always made it a habit to carry them on my left side and hold them kind of high up over my waist. My pistol is AIBW at ~1:00, and this arrangement always seemed like a pretty workable one for me. Fortunately it's still untested. If we're going someplace unfamiliar or if I see any cause for concern, I hand off to my wife.

Site Supporter
    My child is now 40 years old, so picking her up is not in game plan - except in some horror show. For your amusement:

Name:  baby.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  43.7 KB

This is me at Givens. Picture by Marty Hays and it was the cover of the newsletter years ago. A police trainer friend said it showed a good dynamic. My artistic daughter praised the composition that implied purpose and energy. Ha.

I have not taken a class with such but it seems a good idea. We have run baby saving at matches but rarely.

Each situation may be unique. I'm not so sure about turning over the kids to other partner to engage. Seems slow to me. If you have enough time to do such, I'd go for distance first. Seems a better use of time.

I hate pictures as they make me look fat - which is too truthful nowadays.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 07-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.

The Citizens Defense Research course "the Armed Parent/Guardian" is a good course. If you have the opportunity, I would recommend taking the course. I particularly enjoyed Melody's instruction, but the entire course was well conceived and presented.

@seabiscuit in regards to your question of drawing fire towards you if you have your child with you: this concept is thoroughly addressed in the "Armed Parent/Guardian" course.

Melody and John actually spend quite a bit of time discussing it and possible solutions that include shooting SHO (both holding your child and holding your child only long enough to put them down safely) as well as freestyle shooting while you move away from your child. There is also an FMJ vs. JHP ballistics demonstration which aids the discussion.

If your child is affixed to you (front harness or backpack) and the situation has devolved to shooting, I would recommend you move to cover or make your own cover.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 07-14-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    There is a class about this called Contextual Handgun: The Armed Parent/Guardian taught by John Johnston and Melody Lauer of Citizens Defense Research / Ballistic Radio. I haven't attended it, but have read positive reviews and heard good things about it. Those who have attended the class seem to give it incredibly positive remarks, but nobody seems to be giving away a tremendous amount of information from the class.
    This is on my 2020 to-do list. Unless an earlier opportunity opens up.
    Last edited by ST911; 07-14-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Banned
    Kathy Jackson (Cornered Cat) wrote an article last year about a robbery in Seattle(?). The victim was apparently carrying a baby in a carrier and he put it down and stood (I seem to remember her saying he was kneeling) in front of it as a shield. The point of her article was that it wasn't a good idea to do that because it put the baby directly in the line of (potential) fire.

She said you're better off creating distance between yourself and your loved ones. Although I can't picture dropping my baby and moving away my wife and I have discussed that she should get away from me and find cover in the event of trouble

I always planned to kick my kids or knock them down as part of the draw stroke to get them out of the line of fire. I also had a phrase that my wife and kids knew to walk away from me and go to the car or a cop and not look back. You've got to practice this with your kids and make it sort of a game. I remember the first time a gangster recognized me at a local mall and began cursing at me across the Santa display in the central hub of the mall. It was the 1990's, I was wearing a fanny pack and it had a Beretta 85f in it. I quickly ditched the 85f, soon after, for something more substantial. My wife walked in the opposite direction like she never knew me. I did have an incident where I was walking my K9 with wife and infant daughter. I had K9 on leash and wife was pushing stroller when an unleashed dog ran out and attacked my partner. Due to the wife and daughter being in the middle of the melee, several swift kicks and a thump or two with the 3" M36 I was carrying solved the issue without me having to shoot anything.

This is definitely a problem you need to think about BEFORE it happens. The incident with the Norteno in the mall, I was ready. The incident walking as a family, I was a little slow to take the proper action because I had not mentally prepared myself for this event. In previous dog encounters. it was either my K9 and me, or the wife, K9 and I together. The wife new where to move and where to walk, her dad was a deputy for 29 years and she grew up around cops. Adding in the little one in a stroller completely changed my plans and response. Luckily, it worked out, but luck isn't and tactical plan.

User Tag List