Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Just What Are the Checks and Limits on Presidential Power?

So, Just What Are the Checks and Limits on Presidential Power?

Let me start off by saying that I have no issue with the question of citizenship being raised on a U.S. census. I think it is reasonable for the government to know who resides within its borders.

That said, if the president can thumb his nose at Congress and the Supreme Court, then what measures remain to check his or her authority from those of a monarch? Seizure of his person and arrest? Impeachment? Something more severe?

Or will he simply override any such actions with an executive order?

Where is the line drawn and how will it be enforced?

I voted for the current occupant of the oval office because I feared that the alternative was less acceptable at the time.

There is no way in good conscience that I can vote for that individual going forward despite the fact that there is nobody in the opposition, nor its platform that I favor. However, it's well beyond the 2A and the RKBA at this juncture. The choice must be greater than simply "either / or".

I have a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach about the future of our country and democracy.

I'm interested in your thoughts...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The Supremes themselves, in their opinion, said that the executive has every right to ask the citizenship question.

What I have a hard time understanding is how, after determining that the executive is perfectly within their rights to ask such a question, then concludes that somehow the motives for asking it are suspect and therefore they need to try again and see if the court will like the explanation better next time.

There are significant checks on executive power. They have to get elected every 4 years. And they can't serve more than 2 terms. That's a pretty significant check.

Congress has significant checks on their power. They have to get elected every 2 or 6 years. The executive can veto legislation.

The courts seem to have no meaningful check on their power whatsoever, at least in their estimation.

I've seen nothing from Trump that makes me believe that somehow the Constitution is failing. I think concerns that he is somehow corroding the fabric of government are overwrought at best, driven by pure partisan bullshit at worst.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 07-11-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    3/15/2016

Presidential overreach depends on which party is in power. Now there is a lot of power given, and relinquished by congress in the past. So Trump is exercising power given to previous presidents willingly by congress. Now if he overreaches then congress needs to act by a 70% majority to take away power that has been freely given to the Oval Office under the three previous presidents. I agree with you on the concerns, but the damage has already been done.

Now the census thing, I kind of think maybe we really need to know how many people really are in our country that are not citizens.

The two subjects are really very deep subjects that can be argued on for days.

CWM11B
    There is never going to be a perfect POTUS candidate, and they pretty much all have effectively used and/or abused the EO privilege based on the point of view of the observer. Personally, I have felt very little danger from this guy and have zero confidence or faith in ANY of the professional political class, regardless of party affiliation. We've both been around long enough to know that every generation thinks we are on the brink of doom, and its never been this bad. They are usually wrong.
    As far as the 2A, its a bit cliche, but if they get that one, what stops the rest from falling? I also get the intent of your comment, however, we are not a democracy and I pray we NEVER become one. The tyranny of straight democracy is not something I want to experience. Give me the electoral college and our representative republic (with all its warts) any day of the week. Otherwise, if you aren't part of the current popular hive mind, you may very well be voted out of existence.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 07-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach about the future of our country and democracy.
    The future of our country is what we allow it to be.

Just cut off his Twitter and TV access.

This from romper room kind of puts it into perspective
    Name:  2F6042CD-666F-4334-8E5F-33D8187F5B05.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  27.6 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I don’t get the big deal on the citizenship question. What exactly stops someone from lying on the census...?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Let me start off by saying that I have no issue with the question of citizenship being raised on a U.S. census. I think it is reasonable for the government to know who resides within its borders.

That said, if the president can thumb his nose at Congress and the Supreme Court, then what measures remain to check his or her authority from those of a monarch? Seizure of his person and arrest? Impeachment? Something more severe?

Or will he simply override any such actions with an executive order?

Where is the line drawn and how will it be enforced?

I voted for the current occupant of the oval office because I feared that the alternative was less acceptable at the time.

There is no way in good conscience that I can vote for that individual going forward despite the fact that there is nobody in the opposition, nor its platform that I favor. However, it's well beyond the 2A and the RKBA at this juncture. The choice must be greater than simply "either / or".

I'm interested in your thoughts...
    On the positive remember this, take away twitter tirades, what actually has been achieved that has not been overturned by the courts or effectively blocked by Congress? It is the strength of our system.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I don’t get the big deal on the citizenship question. What exactly stops someone from lying on the census...?
    or just throwing it in the trash...
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 07-11-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    There is never going to be a perfect POTUS candidate, and they pretty much all have effectively used and/or abused the EO privilege based on the point of view of the observer. Personally, I have felt very little danger from this guy and have zero confidence or faith in ANY of the professional political class, regardless of party affiliation. We've both been around long enough to know that every generation thinks we are on the brink of doom, and its never been this bad. They are usually wrong.
    As far as the 2A, its a bit cliche, but if they get that one, what stops the rest from falling? I also get the intent of your comment, however, we are not a democracy and I pray we NEVER become one. The tyranny of straight democracy is not something I want to experience. Give me the electoral college and our representative republic (with all its warts) any day of the week. Otherwise, if you aren't part of the current popular hive mind, you may very well be voted out of existence.
    I logged in JUST to like this post.

Well done!!!

User Tag List